Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara 2D drawings to 3D modeling program

That's quite tight and attractive, Egg.

One suggestion, and it's a creative one not a technical one—wouldn't it be cool if one or more of the keys are pressed?

Just a thought!

My Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by dutchim View Post
    Thanks Gare

I guess I should have put just a little more effort into it the other day... But was in a hurry.

Richard

Attachment 103584
    Richard, you deserve a pat on the back, not a kick in the bum! Your second one, I love, love, love the volumetric lighting.

Today, I'm going to attach a PostScript version of csehz's self-intersecting polygon, and show how simplisying it my manually tracing makes the outline available to ALL 3D modeling programs.

My Best,

Gary

Tracing symmetrical images like this is pretty fast as you only need to trace parts of it and then duplicate the rest.

Here is an example of a simplified version made only in couple minutes using same technique like on that gear earlier and only about 10% had to be actually traced. Imported to Xara and from Xara exported to Realsoft 3d in AI format.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	handtrace.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	103630  

Well, you saved me the effort, theinonen. It's be more than generous of you to attached the Xar files so others in our community can experiment.

I'll take today off as part of the US's Labor Day Weekend!

My Best,

Gary

Here is the Xar file but it was done in a hurry so is not perfect.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very good posts and ideas, actually I jumped into the depth of the Blender guides and tutorials so slowed down in posting, maybe next year will be able to do something

Egg thanks for the .xar file will download from home, I always found challenging to turn/rotate extrudes which have different width in un-extruded state, because somehow at the extrude slightly they need different angles to fit/place over each other.

Theinonen also thanks for your .xar

Here is the Xar file but it was done in a hurry so is not perfect.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I commend your efforts, but that wasn't was I was talking about. There is a way about the Winding Path rule tat will make extrusion results as you'd expect in every modeling program. I'll get back to this as soon as possible. The trick is to lock the design on a layer, and then trace off triangle that appear to touch one another, but are actually part of a group. This "faking it" works in 3DS, C4D, Pixar Renderman, I haven't tried Blender, but you obey PostScript conventions, you can't go wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	It's-full-of-stars.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	103635

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

I used bend snap just so every closed shape that I traced would touch each other. (There are some gaps as my trace was not 100% accurate, so when copied around the centrepoint it will introduce some gaps along the way on copies and those need to be tweaked by hand in that case.)

But is there really any difference as in both files all the triangles are still invidual shapes and should come out as an invidual curve when imported. At least on Realsoft 3d I get exactly similar result with both files, where every closed shape comes out as an invidual NURBS curve.
    Last edited by theinonen; 01 September 2014 at 09:15 PM.

Nope, my bad and I apoligise, theinone. I didn't realize you'd grouped your trace, and it is indeed the same sort of triangles I did.

By doing this, there are no self-intersecting lines and life is good.

Sorry I was confused by the grouping.

My Best,

Gsry

I was sneaky and exported the star shape as a black & white jpeg.

Then I imported it into Cinema 4D with the Vectorizer spline tool.

It did a fairly decent job I have to say. Cinema 4D made non-intersecting splines and so it worked right away!

(Did have to remove the outer square so it would be inverted and ready to extrude.)

Since it was not specified I HAD to export the shape as a spline... I thought I could get away with it!

Richard