Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara 2D drawings to 3D modeling program

Seeing so that the neither Art of Illusion nor Sketchup can not import .svg, the Blender seems staying as straight free selection to export 2D vectors from Xara and try in the 3D modeling world.

For those just would like to attach here this link of a really valuable thread http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...nder-questions from the depth of TG. It is from 2011 but for me absolutely actual! However feeling like going on the trace which was already long ago discovered

Regarding your laptop question,csehz—

A laptop is basically a whole lot of extrudes of squares and rectangles, which with some effort can be done in Xara. Yeah, yeah, I know keys have slight indentations, but why not try your hand at enhancing a basic extrude to suggest lighting that makes the keys appear indented? And then add shadows.

It's one way to make really dimensional drawings without leaving Xara at all.

My Best,

Gary

Lazy person could just vectorize the curves from the picture and then extrude those.

This is what I got without much tweaking from the picture. Little stylized but not that bad for a couple minutes of work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrapKeyb.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	103537  

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    Lazy person could just vectorize the curves from the picture and then extrude those.
    Basically from the .xar file the keyboard is already in vectors so that does not need any additional work, just exporting in .svg and importing in a 3D modeling program.

Yesterday I did a short try to Blender and the keyboard went through, however all buttons as separate objects so the question came up how to group objects in Blender. But already having the Essential Guides so once will find out

Gare yes in Xara that is okay absolutely to extrude a keyboard on a laptop, it is not so hard if the Angle 2 is 0 consequently for the base, keyboard, buttons etc. so sure no need to leave the program at all. But if that laptop needs rotating in different angles, that looks rather challenging

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    I think this is exactly what I and csehz were proposing, theinonen.

I fail to see how this is a lazy approach considering this thread is about how Xara can be used to make a keyboard out of extrusions. What would the ambitious way be?

A couple minutes of work!? I'm impressed!

Then comes lighting and some hand-drawn shadows and we're talking serious keyboard illustration.

My Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    A couple minutes of work!? I'm impressed!
    No need as only thing that is handmade are those crappy painted letters on the keys. (And I failed even those as I misplaced capslock and was not bothered to do the rest anymore.) It is all 100% autotrace + extrude.

Just a golden laptop to the Xara vs Blender extrude competition So this is the Xara, all objects are extrudes with Angle2 0, feel free anyone to try to turn it, I gave it up with the idea for a while, but maybe once.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaptopOnTable.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	103539

LaptopOnTable.xar

At opening the .xar file it needs an ALT-Q removing clipview to see all the buttons on the keyboard, not sure why that is needed maybe some small bug in XDPX9 and XDPX10, it works like that on my computer at all files with a lot extrudes. This keyboard should be better one than the before attached, removing the extrude it is in vector version to export.

In the meantime I will try to develop myself in Blender at least to be able to extrude 'ANYTHING'

csehz,

Unless you're planning on having the front of the extrude larger or smaller than the back, there's really not point in extruding stuff in Blender that you can extrude in Xara.

It's not a contest; each software has its strengths. You did great with your golden computer, and just try to do a cartoon or a painting in a modeling program!

Or a page layout!

-g

I like it cshez, you did a great job.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks for your words, yesterday just tried to export a QuickShape from Xara as .svg

ToExport3D.xar

Name:	xara_export_to_3d.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	103552

and that came in like this in Blender, which does not look too promising

Name:	blender_import2.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	103553

Am I missing something or maybe QuickShapes are hard topics to export from Xara to the 3D modelers? It would be pity as there sure would be hard to draw such shape what is in Xara just five seconds. Did not convert to editable shapes if maybe that is the issue