I've used Illustrator's—actually it was a stand alone program for a while called Adobe Dimensions—quite a few years back, and yes, it does in vector format what CorelDRAW cannot, which is to revolve a profile. This one took me quite a long time to figure out and compose back in 1997—notice that Adobe's product doesn't self shade or produce off-object shadows...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traSH-CAN.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	103530

Xara extrudes, but does so as a dynamic bitmap if you go to wireframe, and there is no lathing option.

The short answer is yes, it would be simpler, but your approach leaves Xara out of the equation!

We can't do that now, can we?

I'd like to suggest that if you're good with shading, invest just a little time in a 3D program such as Art of Illusion, roughing out your scene with a cylinder here and a cube there, all in perspective—you export the crude piece as a bitmap, and then trace over it in Xara to bring out the finer details, making the illustration something you put manual effort into. #D modeling programs take some of the ennui out of making a scene because it does massive calculations for you, but I'm always haunted a little bit by the fact that I'm not 100% hands-on with a modeling program, that it did for me in seconds what I could have done myself in months.

Lazy me

My Best,

Gary