Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Default Re: Xara 2D drawings to 3D modeling program

1: A wingding font with inner contour in Xara exported as bitmap.
    2: Imported into Zbrush as alpha and make 3D applied, rendered in Keyshot.
    3: Imported alpha used to define sculpting brush to sculpt a thickened flat plane polymesh.

Note: All of the effects I have shown here and in my previous post are real time sculpting and mesh distortion via masking, no displacement or normal mapping was used to create the images.
    If your interested download the Zbrush trial and see for yourself. http://pixologic.com/zbrush/trial/ its fully functional for 45 days.
    Lots of free tutorials are available at http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winding.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	109010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wingding model.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	109011  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wingding sculpt.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	109012  

Mike, this is a very elegant graphics solution to dimensionalizing a Pi character.

But is the result significantly different than just extruding an exported AI from Xara?

I'm truly not trying to be a jerk or steal from your work, Mike. If you gave me a week, I might be able to reproduce the extrude here in Xara:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ding.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	109013

I'm certain I'm overlooking the obvious, as usual.

My Best,

Gary

But is the result significantly different than just extruding an exported AI from Xara?
    Zbrush has no facility to work with vector polylines.

It's probably six of one and half a dozen of the other if you ignore the tools used to get a result. I really do admire your talent with zBrush. I can't find an entry point for version 3 (or 2, or 1, or...)

My Best,

Gary

I can't find an entry point for version 3 (or 2, or 1, or...)
    I think when you begin to realize the relationship between the brush controls and the underlying image (alpha), which determines the shape of the brush you will be on your way to an interesting experience, its easier than you think. You must have a polymesh in edit mode drawn on the canvas to begin. Select a brush, select an alpha, set your stroke and start pushing polygons as it you were sculpting a piece of clay. I have barely scratched the surface with these few examples I have posted.

If you have problems with the interface start here: http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/home...son/zbrush-ui/

Thanks for that, and the links, Mike. I scarved all the tute vids and will peruse (which means to study carefully, not "glance at" ) when time allows!

I hope you're right about the heart of simplicity and all that because I feel like a complete idiot when I open the review copy.

-g