Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Content Catalogue Assistance

Is anyone experiencing problems with accessing the Content Catalogue?

I am getting Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No Internet - XWDP Catalogue.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	103401 and Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No Internet - XDPX10 Catalogue.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	103402.

I have restarted my PC and am obviously connected to the Internet but I have not tried to Publish to avoid messing things up.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Content Catalogue Assistance

Hi Acorn,

I am told that the main office's internet connection is down at the moment.

I'll post again when it's back.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Hi Acorn,

I am told that the main office's internet connection is down at the moment.

I'll post again when it's back.

Phil
    Thank's Phil.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Just this minute back up.
    Acorn

Sorry, yes, it started to come back up around 14:50 BST and was working properly from about 16:50 BST onwards.

Apparently an ADVA (whatever that is) in our service provider's network failed and had to be replaced.

Phil

Question Re: Content Catalogue Assistance

Phil, thank you for the detail.

Could I indulge in asking about workaround for this problem should it recur?

I hadn't realised the amount of Internet was embedded into the following:

• Content Catalogue - this is self-evident as it is an on-line resource.
    • Designs gallery - is there no local caching of these assets at all? I don't mind an initial download and a check on next use but it seems to be for every new design document. I have earlier versions of Xara products (still installed) so is it simply a Disc designs... link to these? As I have just gone for download upgrades in recent times, do I get the same as earlier if i had purchased a CD? Can this CD be bought separately against an earlier download order?
    • Web Export Options - this was a surprise. Why is this linked to the Internet?
    • Content Installer - "The content installer adds additional content that is not included in the free trial. That includes additional fill styles for the Fill Gallery and more spell checking dictionaries for other languages. It does not include any content for the Content Catalog / Designs Gallery - this is downloaded instantly on demand, but it does install into Windows fonts that are used by that content." Would this not solve disconnection and off-line working situations?
    • Publishing - I chose to use a separate uploader as I can Export a site, preview it locally and on a local web server and choose to upload at my own convenience.

In summary, I believe there is a need for total off-line capability, a goal that was readily achieved in earlier versions.

Acorn

Well, I couldn't have planned it...

My Xara programs have lost Internet connectivity such that I cannot get Thumbnails, etc to display.
    The Content Catalogue renders but Imports then fail.

It is because I just leased Adobe Creative Cloud?

Acorn

P.S. It is now back, but honestly Quality of Service needs to be factored in.
    To lose one day of production is bad, two days ... ?

P.P.S. It is gone again!

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post

In summary, I believe there is a need for total off-line capability, a goal that was readily achieved in earlier versions.

Acorn
    I agree - and not from the point of view of website building which I don't do - if, as is the case with me frequently, programs including XDPX get deliberately blocked in firewall rather than windows itself disconnecting, then this can throw XDPX into a loop whereby it appears to go through a whole succession of port addresss before giving up and it's a pain

In fact I've come round to a drawing only version point of view.. but that's separate issue from this thread
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Six hours later and another wasted day!
    Acorn

P.S. The Content installer seems to OK but the Designs gallery isn't.

Seems to me that if a company switches from download content to an Internet delivery type of system, they should be using a highly robust CDN provider. Even Amazon's CDN goes down once in a while that can affect some localized users (and has had world-wide failure once or twice) but in the main it is robust. And can be expensive.

And that is aside from what the consumer experiences even at the best of times. I absolutely hated it when Corel did this. Now it is year two or three and Corel's system still has issues even when the connection is present. It is a slow, cumbersome thing to have to browse from within the application from the consumer's POV.