Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Donut graphic with 14 evenly sized segments...

Thank you for the fine video tutorials Frances and Eric. Much appreciated, learned a lot.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Hi Acorn,

The OP mentioned using Designer Pro 8. However if you are using web designer, I suppose that you could use a modification of my method. You could use the shapes that I drew and then instead of subtracting them, send the shapes to the guides layer and then use the guides to draw the donut pieces using the shape editor tool.
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Eric: Thanks for sharing your video with us.
    Acorn: I hadn't thought about Web Designer's lack of Break shapes, but as Eric suggested once you get to the final break shapes stage in any of the methods the shape could be placed on the guides layer and traced.
    Larry: You are very welcome, it's always a good feeling to know I've helped someone learn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi Peeps,

A couple of interesting points raised here.

@ Angelise, cheers for the video. Just one point I'd raise is that because you forgot to hold down Ctrl when you created the polygon you then adjusted the polygons dimensions to equal sizes. No issue with an equal number of sides on a polygon, it's not the same for odd sized polygons. These odd sided polygons will not have equal dimensions. Nit picking I know but I just mention that not all polygons are equal in width/height.

@ Eric, I can't really understand why you consider it fine to rotate lines in whole numbers but when it becomes a decimal point rotation it requires a completely different approach. Xara will rotate lines/objects to any given value entered into the rotation box, I don't know to how many decimal places, but at least 3 decimal places. The rotation box may only show to one decimal place, and this can be changed to show more (tho it messes up the UI), but it rotates to the angle entered, and doesn't round up or down.

Just my observations
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Can you use the Shape Editor tool in Web Designer to delete points? If so you could delete all points apart from one arc shape, clone & rotate it around a centre point.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

You are more than welcome, Larry and Frances.

@ Egg:
    It isn't that I have a problem with decimal points, it was that the number of places went beyond what my calculator would show and I wasn't sure how many decimal places Designer Pro will accept before it rounds them up. If you want to get the sections mathematically perfect, then using a star is better than rounding decimal places. To be fair, I also wasn't thinking in terms of copy and paste but rather entering in those numbers manually for each new clone. The copy paste method does make things easier but the mathematically correct argument still stands. Though, again to be fair, you probably can't tell the difference between the two.
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Yes - another good tip to remember that the point around which the object will rotate can be moved, including outside of the original object. So even with Web Designer, once you have the outlines where you want them, you can just draw one of them, move its "transformation center" position to the center of the whole object (the circle), and then right click/rotate/copy around that point to align your copies over the ones that are not separate objects.

Hi again Eric,
    I wasn't sure how many decimal places Designer Pro will accept before it rounds them up.
    I wasn't trying to make any serious issues/points here just pointing out something of interest. I've experimented and found that Xara quite happily rotates a line/object quite accurately up to 10 decimal places (after this I got bored) Just stating there's no rounding up.

Though, again to be fair, you probably can't tell the difference between the two.
    Quite agree.
    Egg

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

@Egg: you are quite correct
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Here is yet another Xara solution (YAXS), using the Pie Chart Widget: Pie Chart.web.

The fun part is you can click on the bottom legend controls and turn it into a Pie Chart with 14 down to no segments.
    If you click on a Segment itself you get hover text and the Segment extending out; toggling returns it back into the pie.

I hid the centre with a white circle and you could do similar for the legend.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat