Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Scaling on very hi-res screen

Possible bug report?

I am now using a Surface Pro 3, which I REALLY like a lot. Because the display is very high resolution (2160x1440), scaling is used on a lot of applications to make it so that things are not really small. Chrome is one of the applications that doesn't do well with this - the body of the screen is fine, but the tabs and some other objects are pretty tiny - functional, but smaller than expected.

There is an issue with Xara that I think may have something to do with this scaling and I've seen it show up in a few places:

1. When dragging an icon to one of the tool bar areas, the cursor is in the place where the object will be dropped, but the little rectangle that represents the objects is way far from there.
    2. The same thing that happens with #1 also happens when dropping a color on an object. Where the cursor is, the color drops, but you can see another object floating some distance from there that is the rectangle that would typically represent where it's going to be dropped.

Neither of these is any kind of show stopper, but there may be other areas in the interface that have the same problem. I haven't had any actual problem with this, but it is a little distracting.

Anyone else seen this happen? Dear Xara - is there anything that can be done about this?

Default Re: Scaling on very hi-res screen

Clarification: I am aware that you can tell the application NOT to scale by use of the properties/compatibility settings. If you disable the display scaling, everything is Xara becomes pretty small (icons/layer gallery/menus/etc). There is an upside to this, which is that you can have a bunch more icons, but they are pretty small.

It's in the non-disabled scaling mode that the off behavior described above occurs. In the meantime, I think I'll stick with the small icons and see if it can be beneficial, but I'm sure that the above post describes something that is not intentional.

Thanks for your attention!

Edit: In the non-scaled version, not only are many items very small, there are also a lot of cases where the fonts used are the right size, but trying to fit in the interface elements that are too small, thus the text doesn't fit and you can't see it all. Examples of this are the line width, the drop down for the color editor box that shows if you area looking at fill or line, (important) the Hex color in the color editor, etc. This is obviously a problem for when you need access to this info (specifically the color hex value in my case). So back to scaled view I go!

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I've moved this to the Dear Xara Forum where the Xara developers are more likely to see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Doesn't WildRice use a Surface Pro? I don't know if it's the same version or not but I've not heard any of this from him. Interesting.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.