Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Accessing PS files.

Hi All,
    I have been using Xara on and off for a few years but never used PS. I wondered whether anyone could advise whether it is possible to access PS files with Xara software? I expect not, and that it is proprietary software with restricted access to the file type, but I thought I would ask anyway. I have a number of PS files which Imay need to access forsome web design workand may have to bite the bullet and buy the software.
    IP

Default Re: Accessing PS files.

Depends upon the Photoshop file as to how well it will come in...or if it does at all. Layer effects are generally lost, etc. Cannot open certain PS files at all if they have something other than a color mode other than what XDP can itself use (so no duotones, LAB colorspace, etc).

Depending upon the PS files, I generally have good/great results opening them in either Photoline or in Corel's Photopaint. Unfortunately, I don't think Photopaint is available as a standalone application anymore (part of CorelDraw "Suite" now I believe). Photoline has a 30-day trial and is pretty cost effective. PL is my main bitmap editor.

But try opening them in your Xara product and see how well they do. If they don't do well or cannot open them at all, consider uploading one here and I can check the bitmap editors I mention to see if they can open them as expected.

Mike
    IP

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that info, all very useful. I'll have a go with a few psd files I have and see what happens in Xara, if anything. I'll also have a look at the other software you mentioned.

Cheers
    Andy
    IP

I just tried importing a Photoshop CS-5.5 file with 5 layers and it imported into Designer Pro X10 fine with all layers (plus transparency) intact.

I think the limitations are things that are not supported by both programs.

Text created in Photoshop came in OK but with some color discrepancies and alignment issues.
    IP

Heere what it states in xara.com: "Xara Designer Pro offers full support for importing and exporting Adobe Photoshop® PSD files including layer support (Designer layers are exported as PSD layers and PSD layers are imported as Designer layers), including alpha channel and 16-bit color and CMYK layer conversion."
    I have CS2 legally and CS3 from my last employment which I haven't removed from my H/disc yet and have no problems with importing files which were designated .psd. I have had problems with some .tiff files and some LAB colour space but not all. If you have a Adobe account you can still download PS CS2, I think still, and there are serials available for you to use which are all legal which if you had room on your disc would be a good backup..
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

xara will not import clipping layers correctly, they are imported unclipped; adjustment layers do not usually import correctly in my experience either
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP