Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Templates in Pro10

firstly when you save it as a template if you want it as the default you must make sure 'use as default template' is ticked on the right of the save template dialog box

and you must save it to the right folder - you may need to manually load it, open the save template dialog and click on the icons to navigate down to the xara templates/ENG folder to do this, as I mentioned before...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes I understand, always saved as default template the problem was it saved in the wrong place - this is new to Pro10.

To get my templates back as they should have been took time and not for someone who does not know how as I said not user freindly.

And why was it done anyway? as not needed.

Thanks for information.

Peter

Peter

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I can't repeat this. File > save template opens the correct template folder for me.

I have only one custom template in the file new list (one I open very frequently) All my other custom templates I store in a file I call extra templates in my documents. When I have to do a re-install or when I'm installing a new version all I have to do is add this folder to the designs gallery. If I need to un install for any reason my custom templates are safely stored in my extra templates folder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

as I said above at first I could not repeat this, but then I did - I think it is dependant on the way the program is shut down, the normal 'remember last location' for document saves is over-riding the template location - In other words as Peter said it should not happen, it's a glitch/bug
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Prewett View Post
    I also thought I had set up Xara to how I want and it keeps reverting to defaults.
    That could be the source of the template problem, if you mean the whole program is resetting rather than just the tamplate location. If the path to the template folder is found to be empty, the last used save directory will be used (this would have been the case in old version as well).

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue from the supplied instructions, closing the application with no tabs open. When you restart the application after closing it, is a page based on the default template opened (i.e. is the template directory valid at that point)? If either of you have a way of reproducing this reliably that would be very helpful. Also if there are any message boxes at any point that would also be helpful (for example unable to find default template).

Finally if you haven't already opened a support ticket, please do so.

ok - back to not being able to do it I'm afraid, but I'll keep trying whilst I'm using the trial
    Nothing lasts forever...

right ...

went away and did various things - including using ver 8 [xdpx]

went back to XDPX10 [64bit] opened the program fist thing I did was check the save template dialog and lo and behold this is what i got:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sshot sast.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	103228

so there we are - everytime I tired that in the last ver 10 session before last close, the dialog was showing the correct folder [....templates\ENG]

Notes:

I have backups disabled [this may be relevant to program closing]
    I made a new default template in the last session which was the one used in the new session - only change in it, default page units pixels [it was named pixdoc]
    I am using the trial version on windows 8.1 64bit [with some modifications eg classic shell]
    desktop is where I would have last saved work in both vers of xdpx

Nothing lasts forever...

Peter locate the program and create a shortcut some where you want it such as your desktop. I'm not bure what you did but something doesn't sound right. To create a new template click on new template from the file menu, a new dialog box will open. Give your new template a unique name and be sure to check the box on the right that says "use as default" at the top you should see where it is saving the template. Now when you open your program it should be the template you created. You can check what templates are available by looking in the file menu and click new. This will bring up a list of your templates and yours should be listed. If it's not the way you wanted it, check your options and whatever else, such as line color and width and save the template again as your default. If you choose to save it with the same name as before that's OK, the program will ask if you want to replace the previous, click OK and the deed is done. I don' remember how many templates you can save but the number is limited. I hope all this makes sense. It really isn't difficult.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I know how to set up a templates done so since the the first Xara product that had them.

Pro 10 does it differently it does not default to the template folder to save - it should do so.

In fact it gives you the option to put it elsewhere in fact the last folder you opened like my trip photos.

Then it does not show the installed template folder - as it should do, and not my trip photos folder.

That is a bug in my mind.

Peter

ok Peter - maybe Larry didn't read all the thread...

did navigating down to the correct folder within the save as template dialog box, and then saving a template file, not reset the dialog box to the correct folder for you then? [you can just save a test file and delete it afterwards]
    Nothing lasts forever...