Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Ok, I got such a good answer to my last question, let's try this one.

Since Xara v1.0 I have tolerated this problem without questioning it. I have no problem with my webdesign use of Xara (90% of what I use it for). But when it comes time to print something a 500k file turns into a 10MB monster in the printer spool. Of course the file has text, shapes and layers of transparencies. I'm assuming that the process of converting from xara's pure vector format to the printer's format increases the size?? Is there some way to get around this and still have the razor sharp resolution on printout (no, I don't want to export as .bmp and print that).

Thanks in Advance,
    Robert
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

Ok, I got such a good answer to my last question, let's try this one.

Since Xara v1.0 I have tolerated this problem without questioning it. I have no problem with my webdesign use of Xara (90% of what I use it for). But when it comes time to print something a 500k file turns into a 10MB monster in the printer spool. Of course the file has text, shapes and layers of transparencies. I'm assuming that the process of converting from xara's pure vector format to the printer's format increases the size?? Is there some way to get around this and still have the razor sharp resolution on printout (no, I don't want to export as .bmp and print that).

Thanks in Advance,
    Robert
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Robert,

are you talking about a 6 feet - 2 meter size poster?

ciao,
    jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Robert

Large spool file sizes are unavoidable if you use bitmaps or anything that's converted to bitmaps, such as transparency etc. The spool file size is then very roughly equal to the area of the page (in sq. inches) covered by bitmaps x (Print Options > Output > Transparency resolution)² x 3 (or 6 if you're using PostScript). The XAR file size is pretty much unrelated to the spool file because a) it's compressed and b) it could contain a single transparent shape used to fill the entire page (so small XAR file, large spool file) or a giant bitmap resized to 1 x 1 pixel (large XAR file, small spool file).

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean