Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: File Open Dialogue in X10 x64

actually it defaults to thumbnails all the time when a 'new' folder is created with images if I have thumbnails allowed globally - there is a 'set all similar folders' function but it does not work as well as I'd like and no matter how I set that, thumbnails are on the desktop - I may be doing it all wrong of course, but if I set 'never use thumbnails' then the problems go away and that's fine by me

and I don't actually want thumbnails most of the time, I prefer details list

I like windows 8.1 too, given that I have customised it - it is a lot better behaved than previous windows - has some irritations, but every version has those;
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The standard file dialog has a preview panel, just click the icon at the top right next to the help icon. This is fully supported by Xtreme.

Except that when I click on a .xar file the text in the preview panel changes from 'Select a file to preview.' to 'No preview available.'

It may be fully supported in Xtreme, but it doesn't appear to be supported in Pro X10 x64.

if you do not have thumbnails enabled in windows it will not work Luke - whereas the previous preview did - like I said earlier...
    Nothing lasts forever...

It should work, I'll investigate on Monday. It's probably a DLL registation issue.

When the preview functionality works, it will also work in every explorer or file dialog. The new dialogs also include short-cuts to Drop-Box and other such services, which is useful if you use these services. Since these are standard dialogs users only have to learn how one works and they instantly know how they all work.

I believe that thumbnails and previews are separate, they certainly have different interfaces.

ok - windows 8.1 \folder options \ view tab, I have 'always show icons, never thumbnails' set

I do this because most of the time I am working with drawings that are difficult to tell apart in thumbnail - so I give them meaningful names, and detail list is what I want

When I look in the preview I see an icon not a thumbnail

No big deal for me personally if my settings preclude it, just a useful option occasionally, which i still have in ver 8
    Nothing lasts forever...

There does seem to be some issues with registration of the preview handler, but I can get it to working by manually registering it. Also even with 'always show icons, never thumbnails' I do see the preview (see attached screen capture). The preview for JPGs are effected by the flag but only in file dialogs, they always seem to appear in Explorer (I've only got Win7, so presume it's the same in Win8[.1]).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Preview.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	103133
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Preview.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	103132  
    Last edited by Luke.Hart; 02 August 2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Include screen-shot that includes preview.

I only see icons in explorer in win 8.1 Luke.... [with setting as stated] :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preview sshot.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	103137  
    Nothing lasts forever...

This is what I get:

Watch in HD

Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

This is exactly what I get Egg. I hope they fix it with an update.