Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Locking in Created Brush colors

When you create a brush, using black as default, you should be able to have the ability to change colors to any color.

When you make a brush in Photoshop, you can change the color of the brush. Likewise, DP10 should allow this ability, especially when a color hasn't been specified in the intial creation of the brush.

You shouldn't have to make a custom brush for every color you intend to use. I shouldn't have to make a version of the same brush that's black and then another one that's white, and then another one that's gray, and another one that's red, etc.

You should be able to select any color from the color bar and the brush should take on that color, for either the line or the fill.

To have multiple versions of the same brush in the brush gallery that are only differentiated by color is inefficient, tedious and not beneficial in terms of workflow.
    Sheff
    My Site

Default Re: Locking in Created Brush colors

Hi Sheff

if you use only named colours when you make your brush, it should pick up the current set fill colour automatically when you draw - don't need to have a set of different colours - see attached file brush is also called 'colour brush'

note the brush may not work at a low pix - try at 8pix or above
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Okay, that works for me. However, there's no way I would have known that I would first have to make a named color in order for the brush to take on the color attributes that I wanted. That isn't intuitive at all.
    Sheff
    My Site

the brush documentation is not exactly comprehensive

I guess the logic is that:

if you make it non-named colour you have a brush with fixed colour - this is particularly important if the brush contains more than one colour
    if you make it named you can set that colour upfront - you can mix non-named and named, but only named colour is changed upfront

what would be nice would be to be able to set all the colours in a multi-colour brush upfront, but can't do that AFAIK
    Nothing lasts forever...

if you edit the brush you can change All brush colours, named brush colours or no brush colours. The default when creating new brushes is No brush colours.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

the default when creating new brushes is 'no brush colours' if you use non-named colours

and then of course you can only change colour after making the stroke.....

and you cannot change the defaults before you draw the stroke either in an existing brush

so to enable that you have to use named colour when you create the brush, then the default is 'named colour' [replace] and then it picks up the current fill colour as you draw
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'd love someone from Xara explain exactly how brushes are supposed to work. There's no ryme nor reason to the colour option. It's the most difficult tool to work with in Xara.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host