Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Is there a way to clean up this text graphic image up?

you wont need to unclip in the xar I posted, I have done that [it was clipped [clipview] to the area of the page in the program it was made in]

in xara autotrace is 'bitmap trace' but I can never get xara to smooth the lines as well as inkscape which is what I used, but even then some of the edges are a bit rough as I said; vector magic may be better but it's not free

@Gary - yes fishing is good; but so sometimes is not barking
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    When you export the file to JPG, for example, the first panel is palette options, the next panel is Bitmap Size, this is the panel you set your resolution.

When you say you don't have time to trace a graphic... you don't have 15 minutes to 1/2 hour to spare, that's all it would take me to retrace this.
    It might take YOU only 15-30 minutes, but it would take me far longer and my tracing would not come out perfect. I've played with that stuff before and I just don't have the skill level.

I never export to BMP, and I notice that there isn't a resolution setting, rather pixels and percentage. Do you have to export as BMP, you could choose TIF, which maintains color fidelity and has a resolution setting. I generally export to JPG so I can a smaller file, though I export at with no compression. Again, the panel labeled "Bitmap Size" is where you set resolution.

I won't argue, but tracing is not power using Xara. I would consider myself a Xara power user, however, tracing is fundamental skill and a very low 'power use' activity.

BMP files have no internal tag for a resolution setting, so you can't set one...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you wont need to unclip in the xar I posted, I have done that [it was clipped [clipview] to the area of the page in the program it was made in]

in xara autotrace is 'bitmap trace' but I can never get xara to smooth the lines as well as inkscape which is what I used, but even then some of the edges are a bit rough as I said; vector magic may be better but it's not free

@Gary - yes fishing is good; but so sometimes is not barking
    Oh, this is best one yet! Great job! Thank you!

ok - it's not perfect - some of the curves are 'wobbly' - but if tracing by hand is low power user , this must be pedal-power

its vector so you can resize it as you like
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ok - it's not perfect - some of the curves are 'wobbly' - but if tracing by hand is low power user , this must be pedal-power

its vector so you can resize it as you like
    Thank you so much! Now I can get it printed up and put on the wall, lol.

And I just tried to hand draw some lines to fill in a couple blank spots and I am hopeless. How on earth do you guys get nice smooth, even curves? Mine are always wobbly and all over the place. I just haven't been able to get the hang of moving those anchor points and arrows (or whatever they are called). Aaargh.

i think all of those who can do that are guilty of patience and perseverance
    especially when using software
    there's no easy way to learn im afraid
    just dogged hard work

edit: i love the poster by the way :-)
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Clearly this isn't Fuss's work.
    Why are you all helping him pirate someone else's image?

frank is right patience and perseverance - aka practice and more practice

I draw freehand - in other words I don't bother with nodes and reshaping the line afterwards I just 'draw the line right in the first place' with a touch sensitive graphics tablet - of course this is not an exact science, I would not recommend drawing up the plans for a nuclear power station this way, but for cartooning it is a real time saver; but it took 5 years before I was good enough to draw this way for serious work
    Nothing lasts forever...