Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question "Responsive Design" questions

I am considering the purchase of The website product. I know HTML, and CSS coding, but I need an editor that just makes things faster. I used to use Microsoft Expression Web, and it was fun, except I just don't have the time to to learn as I go anymore. And I am a little rusty having not used it for a while. I have not got into HTML 5 or CSS 3 yet.

Is the Responsive Web Design, as implemented by Xara, W3C compliant? Or does Xara use proprietary scripts?

How does the design work? I saw from a desktop, a sample website provided by Xara, has a large picture, then the mobile as viewed by my Android device, has cut down the sides of a large image on the homepage.
    1. Suppose I have an image, but I want to preserve the left or the right side?
    2. When the NAV bar collapses, can I designate if its left, center or right aligned?
    3. Can I designate if all or some of the NAV bar links collapse? For instance, keep on top two links mobiles users would use most often
    4. Are there scripts or methods I can links phone numbers and emails to the users mobile device? For instance, tapping will bring up the phone calling ap or the email app and pre-populate with contact data needed by the app? (phone number or email address)
    5. Are there mobile device "viewers" that Xara can link to so I can see what the site is looking like on various OS systems, and screen sizes?
    Last edited by wjg; 29 July 2014 at 11:59 PM. Reason: extra questions

Default Re: "Responsive Design" questions

Is the Responsive Web Design, as implemented by Xara, W3C compliant? Or does Xara use proprietary scripts?
    It uses it's own javascript to control the rwd and from what I've seen it all seems to be fully compliant. The rwd demo only throws 1 error but it looks like it is because of some included analytics code.

How does the design work? I saw from a desktop, a sample website provided by Xara, has a large picture, then the mobile as viewed by my Android device, has cut down the sides of a large image on the homepage.

Suppose I have an image, but I want to preserve the left or the right side?
    You have full control over how an image looks on each variant

When the NAV bar collapses, can I designate if its left, center or right aligned?
    Can I designate if all or some of the NAV bar links collapse? For instance, keep on top two links mobiles users would use most often
    Nav bars don't collapse like that. For example you'll need to create a desktop nav bar and separate mobile menu. Again you have full control over how they will look on each variant and what links to include.

Are there scripts or methods I can links phone numbers and emails to the users mobile device? For instance, tapping will bring up the phone calling ap or the email app and pre-populate with contact data needed by the app? (phone number or email address)
    You can use standard mailto: and tel: on your links to do this - the phone should automatically use whatever app is assigned for each, with mailto: you could use ?subject for example to pre-populate the subject line

Are there mobile device "viewers" that Xara can link to so I can see what the site is looking like on various OS systems, and screen sizes?
    There are other websites online that can give you browser previews across different devices, just publish your site and put your url into them.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.