Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro X10 Released

If you buy it in US dollars The price including VAT & a $5 delivery charge (presumably that changes depending on your location) is $123.80, which equates to £72.92 at the current exchange rate. Buy it in UK Pounds (I am in the UK BTW) and the shipping is free. Total price including VAT £79.00. This is from a UK based company, owned by a German company, both based in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi King View Post
    If you buy it in US dollars The price including VAT & a $5 delivery charge (presumably that changes depending on your location) is $123.80, which equates to £72.92 at the current exchange rate. Buy it in UK Pounds (I am in the UK BTW) and the shipping is free. Total price including VAT £79.00. This is from a UK based company, owned by a German company, both based in the EU.
    If you think thats bad you should see Coreldraw's pricing $499USD compared to €725

thats interesting, I didn't know you could buy it from the US site with a UK address, I thought you got redirected - well there is of course more than one exchange rate, but over to Xara...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I tried and was bounced back to UK price :-D Upgrade price on the US site is $99 which is £58. Upgrade price on UK site is £79! 40%-ish more!! Double VAT so that can't be the excuse!

Not as bad as Adobe who put the same figure after the $ & the £ - used to anyway, not bought from them for many years. I actually got a reply of sorts when I complained, " different overheads "
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    thats interesting, I didn't know you could buy it from the US site with a UK address, I thought you got redirected - well there is of course more than one exchange rate, but over to Xara...
    You can change the currency at the top to US Dollars. It seems that US sales tax is a little less if you follow it through to check out. If you add the charge that the bank makes for a foreign transaction there's probably nothing in it at the end of the day. However if you are a new user buying the full product at £249 GB versus $299 US (currently £176) then I don't believe that can reasonably be explained away by tax and delivery charges. I'd like to hear what Xara has to say about that. We're used to being screwed by American companies charging inflated prices to UK users but I would expect better from a UK company.

I actually upgraded this time around, but I skipped over version 7, 8 and 9 to get here. The small incremental changes in all 4 versions was enough to goose me into actually upgrading. Web design features still remain completely useless to me, but I'm finding more use in the page layout and photo stuff lately.

In any case, back in the day it used to be the case that it was recommended/necessary to install the CD version over the trial when it arrived. Now that there is apparently this new option to download the extra content, is this still needed?

I'm also curious about the fly-out galleries on the right. I know a lot of people hate them. I find it somewhat useful except the buttons and text are extremely tiny (I can completely obscure them with my mouse pointer). Is there some way to make them bigger or something? I see no obvious option.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    Adding proper OpenType support would affect far more than 5% of your user base.

Adding a gradient mesh would affect far more than 5% of your user base.

I know you didn't mean to, but replies like that come very close to being dismissive of your users.

Kate's post made me a little more optimistic about the possibility of these in the future, and for that I am thankful.
    Yes the disquiteing in such 5% mentioning answer by Xara is, that it sounds the company mainly thinks the new features should had been enough for the users this year. The users in this thread seems for them disappointed and not are disappointed.

But as a regular loyal user who always upgraded I also bought the XDPX10 with upgrade from XDPX9 paying for that Total: $124.80, seeing in the meantime that newly buying the XPDX10 is $299 so paying for the upgrade 41% of the total price. Sorry but the XDPX10 is really better with 41% than the XDPX9?

Getting for that such SmartShapes in the headlines which are around eight arrows put into the Designs gallery,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nothing.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	102994

also containing for example a star there but dropping that to the page it becomes a QuickShape what anyone draws with the QuickShape tool and being without the SmartShapes control. That sounds lifting up something into the advertisement which was always existing but with that SmartShape name someones will buy it. That tactic was successful also with me but like that still searching where is that 41% extra and why should be happy with those

Quote Originally Posted by Odat View Post
    In any case, back in the day it used to be the case that it was recommended/necessary to install the CD version over the trial when it arrived. Now that there is apparently this new option to download the extra content, is this still needed?
    I was wondering the same thing allthough I did not download the trial version first. I downloaded the ´buy´ download through a link they sent me.

I used the ´down load´ possibility which is available under the ´help´ function also.

The reason I am wondering if I have all the wonderful features of the program is that I cannot find a font that is mentioned in one of Angelize movies. The font is called Celebrated Burgeon Ornaments. I even used the ´search´ option on this forum but came up empty.

So, in short, do I neeed to install the CD on my computer and does this new install write over the excisting one or do I have to uninstall the whole program to install the program on the CD. I opened some files to see what was on it but did not see categories like for instance ´extra fonts´

Thank you again for your time and patience.

Hajeem,

The Burgeon ornaments font is in the first post of this thread as a download link:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...138#post440138

Right under the first image, above the video.

Mike

The CD is just for back-up, the download will have been the latest version.

Make sure you go to Help and click on the download for Content Installer
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64