Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

xdp6 Xara Designer Pro X10 Released

And now we have the full set for 2014.

Maybe seeing the features released in the other Xara family of programs had killed the excitement for this version of DPX10, but I'm upgrading all the same.

Thanks Xara

Rich
    Authentic IT - Web Design and IT Consultancy, Penzance

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro X10 Released

Yes, the waiting is over, Designer Pro X10 has arrived. You can find a summary of What’s New on the Xara site as usual, http://www.xara.com/designer-pro/whats-new/, more detailed info in our release notes @ http://xaragroup.magix.net/designer-pro/notes/ and there’s Gary Priester’s First Look on the Xara Xone @ http://xaraxone.magix.net/XDPX10/page-1.htm. nb this is so hot off the press that some of the pages on our site might not have updated yet.

The main new things:
    • New shadow & highlight controls in the photo Enhance tool for fixing areas of your photo in deep shadow or bright light, without altering the brightness of the rest of the photo
    • A brand new Color Select option, also in the Photo Enhance tool, a much faster & more intuitive way of enhancing based on colors
    • 32 bit plug-ins now work with the 64 bit version of Pro
    • The PhotoLooks plug-in from Red Giant will be bundled with all copies of v10
    • A new top level Insert menu for quick & easy addition of various useful things to your document, including some new things like Font Awesome symbols
    • A responsive web design feature. Create variants for different devices, exported as a single HTML file, the best variant for each device is automatically displayed (for those of you interested in the technology, it uses CSS media queries to determine which variant to display). It’s a genuinely WYSIWYG solution that gives you control over how your site will appear on any device – and of course there’s no coding required. You can see an example at http://xaragroup.magix.net/vue2/
    • Supersites. A new way to create eye-catching mini-sites, either single page scrolling sites or with transition effects. The best way to explain this is to point you to a few examples: here's a Supersite with transitions http://xaragroup.magix.net/menu1/, the same design as a scrolling Supersite http://xaragroup.magix.net/menu3 and another Supersite with transitions http://xaragroup.magix.net/islands1 (big photo warning on this one)
    • New & fast flicker free page transition effects for presentations and Supersites
    • 11 new web themes, plus new photo slider and social media widgets
    • Smart Shapes, a new & easy way to create some of the most commonly required drawn shapes
    • An Online Content Catalog for better browsing of themes, widgets, Smart Shapes, graphic templates etc
    • A Scale to Fit option, very handy for presentations (there are some other presentation enhancements too) and in some cases Supersites

There are short introductory offers for owners of Pro X9 and on crossgrades from Photo & Graphic Designer, Web Designer Premium and Page & Layout Designer. There’s a Fotolia offer during the launch period too.
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by katemoir View Post
    32 bit plug-ins now work with the 64 bit version of Pro
    *Aborts download of 32bit version and downloads 64bit*
    Authentic IT - Web Design and IT Consultancy, Penzance

Didn't I buy this recently, or a year ago. The icon on the task bar certainly looks like the one that been there at least a year. Its a drawing programme, have we stopped bothering with that side of things now?

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    Didn't I buy this recently, or a year ago. The icon on the task bar certainly looks like the one that been there at least a year. Its a drawing programme, have we stopped bothering with that side of things now?
    Yes.

Xara, or majik, is certainly making a lot less of what should be a great product than it could. Smartshapes! I've always been able to edit a shape by clicking on a control point and editing it. Making it slightly easier for the 'drawing programme' challenged isn't an upgrade, in fact its a bit of an insult to regular users. By all means have an easy option, or Photo Graphic Designer as we call it, but let the PRO version develop or simply have people wonder off to adobe.
    This might be the first time I don't upgrade, after all what am I missing, the money I spend aside.

I probably will not upgrade this go 'round, either. I wrote this in an email to someone a few minutes ago.
    Gotta love the New, the Exciting, the Whatever "enhancements."

It's not like we all really need a lot of new drawing tools, bug fixes, or enhancements to actual drawing stuff. So just a little addition of new combined with some improvements would go a long way to me as it simply says "we've done something with drawing tools now shut up and purchase." And I likely would. I don't need the new plug-ins as I have more than I'll ever use anyway.
    I'll throw the money at the upgrade for my font editor that was also just released. I'll use this money I had set aside for...anything, but likely it'll be for a couple font families I have wanted but didn't have a specific job I could use them on immediately.

Pity, really. Inside I want to support Xara, but I have come to the point software vendors have to also "support" me. I began using XDP with version 6, so not so long ago. If Xara wants my money, they need to earn it. I have to add value to my customers, else they will not be repeat customers.

I really want to support Xara but this will be the second year in a row I won't upgrade. There is virtually nothing new for anyone using the product for graphic design and certainly I can't see anything that justifies the extra expense.

It's a shame but I guess the company has to make a decision about which direction they are to take and it looks very much like the 'Photo Shop' editor route.

Hey-ho, such is life

Disappointment Almost nothing from the Dear Xara section, so it seems just noone cares about that

I think the problem with releasing Designer Pro last is none of the features are new, though they were with the release of Web Designer 10.

The new variants/responsive websites coupled with the depth of features and control makes Designer great for what I do. I appreciate the fact that I can edit photos, work on print products, do illustration, and create and edit web pages all in one program.

But I have to agree with csehz, there do not appear to be many wish list features that made it into this release. I've been getting into book design and I was hoping to see more type handling features.