Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Yet Another Newby - Questions

Hi All

I have downloaded the trial version of Web Designer, on the surface it look great, but with so many restrictions on the trial version I have purchased it, but the more I dig the harder it seems to get and the help file, well not so helpful.

I am aware that this is not an editor, so there are going to be some limitations so I have a few questions.

1) I will be converting my current website, however it dose have number of PHP scripts that I will still need. My server requires the extension of .PHP for PHP to run, I can’t seem to get Web Designer to save with a .PHP extension, I have tried renaming the pages (eg index to index.php) but it still although is says it going to save it as index.php it still saves it as index.htm

2) With regards to the PHP, I have worked out how to put in PHP code via a placeholder or via the web page properties. But one of my PHP scripts processes data from a form and must be at the top of the page before ANY header information is sent as it has a re-direct in it if the form details are successful (like a lot of online scripts). But if I put in the PHP code via the web page properties it puts the PHP script below meta and script head tags and the re-direct will not work. Is there a program base template that can be altered to say where to position PHP script?

3) Auto page size, this is driving me nuts. I have played with a template and it has an auto page size. So I have tried to recreate it in my own page, but not joy. I have a rectangle with rounded corners on the page background. But I can not find any setting that tells is to auto size, there is a video showing this, but would be helpful if they showed you setup the page background not just the objects sitting on it

4) Lastly, I have a band across the top of the page set to full browser width. On this band I have my logo, I want to the logo to be top left hand corner, so even is the main page is sitting in the middle of the browser window the logo will always be top left, but it has to move with the browser window size, is this possible?

Many thanks

Brian

Default Re: Yet Another Newby - Questions

Brian, here are a few ideas.

I believe Xara products will all try and export the first page if it is called index.any as index.htm
    You get round this by naming the second page as index.php.
    The first could then just be a simple redirect.

Equally strange, if you name your first page fred.php, you get fred.htm and a folder fred_htm_files.

Anything entered as a site, page or object head placeholder puts the detail between the HEAD tags.
    I have gotten round this before by using a post-processing script to reposition or add such detail.
    Most of the time a simple BAT file to prepend information is enough.

Are you talking about Position on page > Stretch with page?

The last point is probably down to giving your logo a Name and some CSS to alter the left attribute to 0px.
    I would have to play around with this, but I don't think there is a native Xara solution.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

For putting code at the very top of a page, please see this article under "Inserting Code":

http://support.xara.com/index.php?/K...d-web-features

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    For putting code at the very top of a page, please see this article under "Inserting Code":

http://support.xara.com/index.php?/K...d-web-features
    Rob, in trying this and adding <head> to the Name of a Placeholder, I still get the Placeholder's contents inside the HTML HEAD tag just before the </HEAD>.
    The OP wants code just after the <HEAD> tag.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

That's because you need to apply the name <html>, not <head> to the placeholder :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    Hi Acorn,

That's because you need to apply the name <html>, not <head> to the placeholder
    Certainly a Homer Simpson moment!
    Acorn

N.B. On trying <html> as a Name to an object and putting text into its Head Placeholder, I am still getting it appear at the end of the HEAD section.
    I'm using XWD10P in this instance.
    You couldn't upload an example .XAR/.WEB?

Hmm indeed, applying code in the HEAD section seems to place it as you say after, and BODY before.

I'll update the article to reflect, thanks for pointing it out.

put whatever you want in the head and remove unwanted xara headers
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?55799
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.