Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: distressed text

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: distressed text

Here is a quick video tutorial showing the bitmap transparency method.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Here's another way, which is 100% vector. Distressed text using a brush.

Watch in HD

EDIT: The Add Shapes is not exactly needed, you can just subtract the ex-line group from the text, however this slows down the outcome, so I recommend using the Add shapes method.

Attached the xar if you want to experiment.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gwpriester; 14 July 2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: I think you intended to say "vector"
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Same method but using a bevel to add further distressing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	distressed-text.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	102802  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sorry no video this time but I also use brushes as Egg as in the top line of text! But I also use the bitmap Fill Gallery to get textures and then pass it through the Bitmap Tracer in the Utilities Menu to convert it to vector shapes. I group these shapes and then convert the text to shapes and make sure this text is to the back and then position the texture vector shapes over the Text. Using the Shift and Alt keys I select both the text and the vector shapes and use Combined Shape and then out to Subtract Shapes to give the grunge texture. I have found through using both methods for printing better than the transparency but Frances method is good for the web. Xhris produced a whole lot of brushes many years ago and I still use them frequently so get over to the Brushes Forum or the Xone and download them if you want to use Egg's method.

Two things that I would comment on here and the first is the Brushes. Even though the brush is vector shapes it is not a proper vector brush as I cant easily edit nodes. It would be a HUGE boost for users if we had Grunge/Art type brushes as in Illustrator. Also a the Same:- Fill & Stroke, Opacity, Fill, Stroke, Stroke Weight. which is a very quick way of changing the appearance of your art work. Sorry for not staying on topic here.

Name:	TRACING.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	102805  
    Design is thinking made visual.

Never thought of using bitmap traces Albacore, in fact one of the only real-world uses for the trace I can think or. Here's one I made using a trace of a star-field to gain the distressed effect. Thank's for the idea

EDIT: Link to the star-field image used to create the distressed effect.

Name:	chop-stamp.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	102807  
    Egg

Mike - Need more help?

As always so many diff ways to do the same job ......Thank you for showing me how to do this ...... was really helpful.
    I can now distress text and other things .

Mike
    Life's too important to be serious
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    / Dual Monitor. / Windows 7 Home premium 64bit .

Back in January this year I uploaded a vector wooden plank texture and this can be ungrouped into various shapes and if you select what you need and regroup them they can be placed over some text and and sliced to create a nice vector result.
    Bob.

Name:	distressed text.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	102810  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Nice font
    Egg