Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: distressed text

Default distressed text

How can I get the text to look distressed as in attached.

Thanks

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	102780  
    Life's too important to be serious
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    / Dual Monitor. / Windows 7 Home premium 64bit .

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: distressed text

Hi Mike,

First this is a graphics related question rather than a web design question so I've moved this thread to the Xara Graphics forum.

Now to answer your question there is more than one way to do this. The quickest way I can think of is to use a fractal transparency and use the profile sliders to get the effect you want. (The profile sliders can be accessed by clicking the arrow button on the info bars) or you can use a bitmap transparency in the same way just drag and drop any bitmap into your xara document and you can use the bitmap transparency option to set it as a transparency on what ever object you may have selected. with your text selected choose bitmap from the transparecncy drop down and on the info bar you will see a drop down box containing the striped default bitmap that is embeded in every xara doc. beside that is a dropdown arrow that opens thumbnails of every bitmap that you have imported into the document (in the current session) and you can choose any of them to apply as a transparency.

A third option (but more time consuming) is the eraser tool if you have version 8 or 9. you can create custom distressing by simply erasing out bits to create cracks, holes, and rough edges. in the example attached I've only done the first two letters with the eraser tool,as I'm short on time ATM but I think you should get the idea

Name:	distressed text.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	102783  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Here's a very ancient Xara Xone Workbook tutorial http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook03/page_3.htm

You can substitute a Fractal Fill for the bitmap using the Profile (see attached) to accentuate the graininess.

Name:	1_rubberstamp_12.gif 
Views:	149 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	102784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	distressed.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	102786  

I do it the lazy way, I go to a font site and search for distressed text font that match as closely to undistressed font you are using in Xara to base your graphics on. I'm sure I could do it the unlazy way, but that's a lot of work. I'd convert the text to graphics then create cut-out pieces combined together so I can subtract them for the overall non-distressed graphics.

And this is easier?

Universal way for removing something from the image is to use masks and it works more or less the same way on every graphics software.

For example if I wanted to make text appear distressed I could save it with transparent background, then just modify alpha mask and mission accomplished.

Name:	example.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	238.2 KB 
ID:	102793  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    And this is easier?
    Using a distressed font is infinitely easier. The second suggestion I included in my post is not easy at all, it was my suggestion of the hard way to do it, though as stated, I'd always use a distressed font and not do it the hard way ever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Actually the bitmap and fractal transparency method is pretty easy and with the bitmap method if you have a seamless tiling bitmap (there are some nice ones available in the clipart gallery and the Xara Xone) your text is always editable as text and you can apply the effect to any font.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Yeah, use of fractal transparency adjusted for hard transitions between transparent and non-transparent would indeed be easy to do. My suggestion wasn't the only way to do it, just the least easy way. Sometimes I distress text to some degree, trying to indicate faded areas where the "ink lines" have faded over time, but then I am using soft transitions in the fractal transparency. Otherwise I never use distressed text at all.

Thanks for all the advice ....BUT I have tried all and I must be missing something...... I still cant get it right .
    Can someone do a step by step for this thicko please.
    I did try and follow Garys workbook tutorial but it don't relate to what I see in the panels....
    The stamp is the efx I need for tshirts.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Life's too important to be serious
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    / Dual Monitor. / Windows 7 Home premium 64bit .