Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sign help

Default sign help

I have designed a sign and would now like to take the individual letters, scale them, print, cut out and then outline on the sign.

I have not yet figured out now to scale the sign the get the height of the letters. The sign is being put on a sheet of 4X8 plywood - see attached. Is there a way to scale the ruler in xara to the size of the sign to then be able to measure the height of the letters?

Tks - jb
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: sign help

Hi Web. is that 4 x 8 inches or feet?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I have been in the sign business for years and use Xara 4 though 9 pro. I use the custom settings to size my sign, up to 9ft. Then as you will see in my sample, I use boxes to do my measuring, most of which I do in wire frame mode, but use color for illustration purposes. These help me figure proper placement and material usage. I hope this helps at least a little.

tom

I'm a bit mystified about what these signs are being created with, printed paper or vinyl?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sorry, the sign is a 4X8 ft. sheet of plywood. jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Tom, I have never done a sign before but what I am trying to do is print out each letter, cut they out and then lay them out on the sign, outline them and then paint the outline. Placement isn't a problem - it is trying to get the letters the right size. Each set on the sign are a different size and part are italic.

Was trying to find a way to use the ruler and thereby be able to judge the letter sizes. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Here's how I'd go about it jb;
    Watch in HD
    Egg

Here's how I'd do the pot.
    Egg

Tks Egg - didn't intend for you to have to spend so much time but do appreciate it. Take care - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Hi JB, I just see it as a challenge, how would I do it etc? I needed to do a similar thing last month creating a large stencil. Just sharing my solutions.
    Egg