Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flash Map Rollover Animation Quirck

I have been working very hard on a an animated map where the when you rollover the county it changes color and then when you click it takes you to a page with information for that county.

In 1 county (Rio Blanco) the rollover effect doesn't work. I have gone over it and over it and can't find a problem. I have tried deleting the frame and redoing - still not working.

Any help greatly appreciated.

(None of the links to the information pages have been applied yet).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Flash Map Rollover Animation Quirck

I am not a Flash person but maybe Egg or Acorn can spot the problem.

I would have done this using layers. But maybe it is six of one and a half dozen of the other.

The problem with either Flash or layers when you are working with such complex shapes is the co-ordinates are probably rectangles and this could be causing a small county not to be recognized.

I just tried this with a few map shapes as layers and even cheating a bit (using same color smaller shapes) two of the adjoining shapes appear when rolling over one of the shapes.

I'm going to move this to the Xara Flash chat.

Wolfpup, can I ask what version of Xara you're using to create this animation?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Wolfpup, can I ask what version of Xara you're using to create this animation?
    Xara Designer Pro X9

Also, I don't think the overlap is a problem as Gary had suggested. There are much smaller and closer counties that the rollover is working on just fine.

Fine, that's what I use but I have a big issue with mine, if I select a county and hit Ctrl + Shift + W ( or select Web Properties from the top menu) it only opens the Web Links dialogue which of course is the wrong dialogue window, for example it only allows "on click" events & no option for "on roll-over" so I don't think I'll be able to help you with your problem but I've looked at it closely and can't see anything wrong with the file.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I couldn't see anything wrong either except for the first frame seems weird. So I deleted that one and now it seems to work. At least the flash plays.
    See what you think.

CountyMapFlash.xar
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi Larry,

In your attached xar Rio Blanco still doesn't have a roll-over effect. Do you see one?

@ wolfpup I'd suggest you use the the Backgound option for your excellent map, rather than reproducing all the "off" county states on every layer as I'm sure it'll cut down on the final swf but more importantly makes editing the file far simpler. See screengrab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame-gallery.png 
Views:	444 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	102575  
    Egg

Egg, all I know is when I now move the mouse around it seems to work and the individual states light up as the mouse goes over them. Is that not what it is supposed to do?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Larry,

In your attached xar Rio Blanco still doesn't have a roll-over effect. Do you see one?

@ wolfpup I'd suggest you use the the Backgound option for your excellent map, rather than reproducing all the "off" county states on every layer as I'm sure it'll cut down on the final swf but more importantly makes editing the file far simpler. See screengrab.
    Egg,
    Can you tell me how to download a .xar file from this forum? When I select it and try to download it downloads a file called attachment.php
    which I can't open in Xara.

I thought about doing as you suggested and will try that.

Thanks for the input.

That's exactly what it's supposed to do Larry but it doesn't work on the county of Rio Blanco on either the OP's xar or yours.
    Egg