Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Urgent: Text overflows when hyphenated

Hi,

This is something that I really need your help to fix.

I have placed some text with margin justification (fully justified).
    Some words are to long so I need to hyphenate them. The strange thing is that the text starts to overflow, so that the hyphenated word moves down to the "second" line and shows overflowed.
    If I press Enter after the - the text line gets left adjusted, and that is not what I want.

Does anyone know how to get around this?

I am running XDP X9 and this occurs when I am making websites.

Greetings!

/Olle in Sweden
    Olle Dahlquist
    Web and Graphics Designer
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

Default Re: Urgent: Text overflows when hyphenated

Olle, straight from the Help file:

Words only split across lines if they contain a hyphen character (minus key)

If you type "Ctrl + -" (minus key) it inserts a soft hyphen which is a hyphen that only appears if the word can wrap at the end of a line. This is particularly useful for narrow columns of text, to avoid rivers of white, you might need to hyphenate some words. Inserting a normal dash character will split the word at the end of the line. It's called a 'soft' hyphen because when the word appears in the middle of a line the hyphen vanishes (unlike a normal dash or minus character), so it intelligently hyphenates the words only if it needs to.
    When editing the text a soft hyphen is treated as an invisible character (it takes no space), but you can tell it's in the text by moving the cursor left/right over where the invisible character is.

A hard hyphen can be inserted by typing "Ctrl + Shift + -" (minus key). A hard hyphen is one that will not cause a wrap at all. This is useful in situations where you have dashes in words that you do not want split at the end of lines.
    If you want to force a return on a line, use Shift + Enter to preserve the justification.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have read the help file, but the problem persists.

I enter the text and have it fully justified. Some words are to long, so I insert a "-". When previewing the word has moved to the second line, overflowing so that the first part is placed over the second part of the word.
    I have tried hard hyphen, but that is not what I want as it only inserts the "-" but doesn't move the second part of the word to the next line.
    I have tried soft hyphen, but that results in the overflow, when I preview the page in XDP X9.
    The third method is to insert a "-" and then press Enter, but that will result in a line that isn't fully justified if the number of characters are less then the width of the text area.

What I want is a way to insert a hyphen that doesn't result in the overflow on the second line.
    Is this only visible in the preview or is it something that will show on the published sites?
    At this moment I can't publish the site on the web as it needs to be "perfect" before I do.

/Olle
    Olle Dahlquist
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

Olle

Does this happen when you preview the page?

There have been some problems with full justified text. Is it possible to use text that is left justified?

How about placing a graphic on the right with Repel text under to force the characters back in line?
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I am using text block so there is no problem keeping the text fully justified.
    It seems like the problem occurs when previewing and/or using Internet Explorer.

It looks fine in Chrome and Firefox.

I'm not fond of using left justified text as it does not look as nice ;-)
    Olle Dahlquist
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

Olle, without having any example to check against, my next suggestion is put your text into a Box Placeholder within DIV tags that are fully justified.
    HTML code (body):
    <div style="text-align: justify">Aliqua minim nostrud, duis, qui lorem. Nostrud, enim dolor cillum consequat, minim deserunt sunt voluptate nostrud nisi. Nostrud excepteur eiusmod anim labore? Enim proident aute. Aute, dolore excepteur veniam.<br />Sint, ex amet excepteur. Sit labore laboris elit ea officia cillum laboris esse, sunt dolor officia culpa, est minim. Consequat do dolor, minim occaecat sed excepteur in ut.<br />
    Esse eiusmod sed. Excepteur ex dolore et officia sint sed nisi excepteur est elit consectetur id eiusmod excepteur. Qui laboris, commodo sunt dolor adipisicing culpa, eu voluptate.
    </div>
    Acorn

Hi,

This is unfortunately known problem with the browser rendering the text.

At the end of the lines where the text is jumping onto the next page, put a space (just press spacebar). Try that.

Alternatively, right-click > names > apply the name "HTMLBlockText"

Thanks
    Rob