Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flood Filling an Imported Vector Line?

I import a vector line object...like a rectangle for example. How come it doesn't fill and act like other shapes?

Is there a way to make it act like a rectangle created in Xara?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flodd fill.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	102551

Default Re: Flood Filling an Imported Vector Line?

It's actually a vector line, but the file type is .ai

Is it a closed shape? When you select the the status line in the lower left will either identify it as a line or a shape.

If it says Line then it cannot be filled. You need to find the opening and closing control points and close them.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks!

So if I close it by finding opening and closing points, I can close them and then fill it? I don't know how to find them?

Here is an example of the file:
    shape.ai

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Is it a closed shape? When you select the the status line in the lower left will either identify it as a line or a shape.

If it says Line then it cannot be filled. You need to find the opening and closing control points and close them.

Nice, I see you have it there. Did you draw that?

it is a line [1.33px] - select it

go to arrange menu and click 'convert line to shape' - you will now have a shape, but it is a shape in the shape of the line and so whilst you can fill it, it will fill along the path, which is not what you want

so with it still selected go back to arrange menu and click 'break shapes'

you will now have two filled shapes slightly different sizes - if you give the smaller one an outline you should end up with what you need

...or you can do it gary's way
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    it is a line [1.33px] - select it

go to arrange menu and click 'convert line to shape' - you will now have a shape, but it is a shape in the shape of the line and so whilst you can fill it, it will fill along the path, which is not what you want

so with it still selected go back to arrange menu and click 'break shapes'

you will now have two filled shapes slightly different sizes - if you give the smaller one an outline you should end up with what you need

...or you can do it gary's way
    Thank you sir! Very nice, I figured out your method pretty fast like.

I'm still curious of the other way..but still don't know how to find the start and end points. Thanks again..off to the races..

Click on any node. Hitting the Home key will take you to the start of the line, end key to the end of the line. Tab cycles one node at a time.

One thing you will notice in your case is that the start/end nodes are on each other. If you select one of those two nodes, move it away just a little, then bring it back to the other end, the cursor will add a plus sign and connect them together.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Click on any node. Hitting the Home key will take you to the start of the line, end key to the end of the line. Tab cycles one node at a time.

One thing you will notice in your case is that the start/end nodes are on each other. If you select one of those two nodes, move it away just a little, then bring it back to the other end, the cursor will add a plus sign and connect them together.
    Got it, thanks. Very cool tips and tricks.

Or if the two points are one on top of the other, select the last point, and press Enter which will automatically close the shape.