Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: June 2014 Video Tutorial - Creating 3D Semi-Transparent Cubes in Xara

I think the finished illustration looks great, glad to offer some advice, but ultimately, it's the artist's work, and I'm sort of on the sidelines cheering you on!

I can see on the backside where your centre-point is different than mine in the tutorial, and it works, man, it works.

The concrete plane looks accurate, too. Did you use the same vanishing point?

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: June 2014 Video Tutorial - Creating 3D Semi-Transparent Cubes in Xara

I was curious about the comments by Frank on the perspective of the cube and Larry said he too thought it was wrong, now Frank says his way was not better than that shown in the vid. and to confuse my brain further, which is not difficult these days, Gary replies that using Franks vanishing point worked! So I decided to draw the lines myself, nothing technical but to show the discussed vanishing point lines in question and this is what I came up with, I think I'll stick with Gary's original reply, "if it looks right, it is right"

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lines.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	102760  

Stygg if you look Franks presentation of vanishing points, you will see that there is little flaw in your picture and it will make the cube look distorted.

Curiously I did little test with a cube that was generated with 3d software and the lines of the different vanishing points did not actually all meet at same point when I extented them from the cube with a extension line tool in CAD software. Maybe it is more like, If it looks good then it is good enough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vanish.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	102765

Here is more challenging form of a cube if someone with more patience than me would like try recreating that shape in vector.
    (Believe or not but it actually took over 6 hours to render with low quality settings.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glasscube.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	102766

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    I was curious about the comments by Frank on the perspective of the cube and Larry said he too thought it was wrong, now Frank says his way was not better than that shown in the vid. and to confuse my brain further, which is not difficult these days, Gary replies that using Franks vanishing point worked!
    ah, we were talking about two different things
    gary agreed the perspective was corrected using vanishing points
    i admitted i couldn't produce translucent plastic without gary's tutorial (my "bettter way" was useless)
    if it looks right it looks right is my opinion but i'm fairly anal
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    Curiously I did little test with a cube that was generated with 3d software and the lines of the different vanishing points did not actually all meet at same point when I extented them from the cube with a extension line tool in CAD software.
    if you had a screen resolution of 12800 x 7680 they would
    you cannot defy the laws of mathematics
    unless you are god or some other imaginary cultural deity
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

"god or some other imaginary cultural deity"...
    ...might ruffle a feather or two, BF!! But as you say, Never mind...
    Bob
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Played around with the perspective a little more, still not spot on but as BF said "if it looks right, it looks right"
    Hotted up the background and foreground, sort of reminds me of the place I'll end up in

Stygg

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	102773  

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    "god or some other imaginary cultural deity"...
    ...might ruffle a feather or two, BF!!
    god forbid that i should say anything contentious
    and i deeply regret any offence caused
    but if you believe in such nonsense
    then take off your seat belt and drive without brakes
    and see how far prayer gets you
    this post will be deleted in 3... 2...

stygg your hot stuff image would have worked for me
    had it not been for the little squares on the bg image (perspective again)
    your cube looks to be floating or tilted on end so the shadow wouldnt/shouldnt be there
    it is either an optical illusion or the perspective of the two planes is wrong
    the two planes being one the cube two the bg

edit: i firgot to say i very much like the colours, the effect is very hellish
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Attack of the pyramids...

Name:	pyramids.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	102774  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Frank the cube is on end and when you say the shadow should not be there, I presume you mean the shadow beneath the glowy bit as there would be no shadow with such a bright object ?

Stygg