Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Need help with site

I'm trying to create a searchable database of my karaoke songs for my website.... I have my songbooks in pdf form and excel. Ultimately I'd like a block on my pages that smiply is a text entry spot that the user enters in artists or songs and it tells them what I have based on their search or partial search?? Ive looked on google and honestly its no help I have no knowlege of sql or any php but I'd like to get this intergrated into my site somehow....please tell me there is an easier way and I'm just missing it

Default Re: Need help with site

We have recently developed exactly same functionality for a UK based website. Please contact / PM me so that I could share the URL of that UK website.

Welcome to TalkGraphics to you both.

New members are not permitted links or PMs until they have made several posts. I am not sure of the number but my guess is about two dozen.

If OMG who used a Xara web design product wants to contact you, I'm sure he can Google out a way.

This is a forum for Xara products.

I would build a page around http://datatables.net/, as you have data already in MS Excel.
    I have tried this with over 2,000 entries and the flexibility of partial search across all columns is a joy use use.
    It would be a lot of data entry but it is possible to use Excel to create HTML tables.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi All!
    (Sorry, I speak not corretly english)

I use this program: Wara Web Designer v.6. Good, very nice workplace and design..., etc
    My problems, please help:

- probably embed YouTube, Vimeo embed code. First (old time) this opcion correctly. (Embed plceholder area, etc. Previous I make one square with rectangle tool, and next "Wwb Properties /Placeholder/ Replace wit Html code) Now, this problem: nothing... just one black area, and not embedded video...
    What make not correct?

- When I upload in FTP one structure ( *.html.files+*.htm) in web-browser one "chaos"... Text, text-lines big or little, unordering surface Just when all maps in directory, so-so correct. This is too much work, all file re-upload day per day.... :S FTP-problem? Provider-problem?

- The saved *.web files just C:/users/oskar/Documents place. Must manual copy another place: Local settings/apps/Xara/web files and just this working half-ended htm reloading for edit...

Thanks previous, reply-comments...

Welcome to TalkGraphics Oskar

Please post the code you are using here. We will try to solve the problem.

Thanks, Gwpriesterm

Sorry, I do not understand. What code?

- probably embed YouTube, Vimeo embed code. First (old time) this opcion correctly. (Embed plceholder area, etc. Previous I make one square with rectangle tool, and next "Wwb Properties /Placeholder/ Replace wit Html code) Now, this problem: nothing... just one black area, and not embedded video...
    What make not correct?
    This is the code. The code you add to the placeholder.

Acorn,
    I am using Xara ProX9 and was intrigued with your link, http://datatables.net/. I was a little confused on their site. So once you have DataTables downloaded, do you then populate the database with your data (and can you do this by importing an Access or Excel file)? Then is it uploaded to MySQL on my server (which by the way is GoDaddy)? I am not sure how the data then gets from the database to the webpage in Xara. I see where you can copy the html, but it seems to show the whole database, not just the results of the search.

I want to be able to have my website visitors be able to search for resources by county. Right now it is in a very cumbersome Excel Worksheet which I then have printed in Adobe and there is a link to each of these files on my server. Then of course anytime there is an update/change I have to update all the files

See grandfamilycoalition.com under County Resources Button on Nav Bar.

Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

http://datatables.net/ is working its magic on a html table of your entire dataset.
    That dataset can be part of your Xara design page using a Placeholder.
    You would need to get the data into HTML format by what every tools you have at hand.
    MS Excel can output HTML data but is it very messy so check for a cleaner through Google.

It doesn't import Access or Excel files as input as there is nothing to import to.
    It is a formatting, filtering and sorting tool run in the browser.

Now you can import you data in JSON format, through AJAX and server-side processing.
    http://datatables.net/examples/data_sources/server_side.html has the detail but you need to understand the web technologies to make it work.

It is always worth starting simple and building up to something better.
    If you data is relatively static then go for HTML TABLE data in a Placeholder.

Sorry, there no simple shortcut as only you know the data and your MySQL setup.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat