Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Please consider Adding Page size wider than 92" tall and wide

Thank you for the article on why xara limits it's page size. However, hopefully Xara soon realizes not "everyone" is printing a posters or photo. These days people use xara for wide format printing of vector type items. For example;

Senario 1:

I deal with a lot of vector based items that must be laid out on a sheet that usually goes beyond 92" tall. Since I have to list the "height/width" of every element in my design I can't just "enlarge the art at printing time" as the article says. While this would work for a photo type image I deal with vector.

The designs are machine cut their actual size and not all items are the same size. I also need to lay them out on a long sheet to determine "how much material I will use". I then need to export them out as an .ai file. I then have to open up Adobe Illustrator just so I can save the file as an .eps because Xara doesn't make a .eps file directly it just make an .ai file.

Since I have already layed it out in Xara it seems pointless to export out each element, import it in to illustrator, lay it out there, etc., when I have designed it in xara I should be able to lay it out in the software also.

Senario 2:

Another reason it is important is that I also have to make a "mark up" photo of what the design looks like for people to see. So say the height of the surface my design will be going on is 96" tall x 120" wide. I currently can't make the page that size and then layout the items (actual size) so that I can export out a ".jpg" or ".png", etc. sample image showing "how everything looks" in proportion to the surface it is going on.

Senario 3:

I am creating a new decal design from scratch. I want use a surface that is 96" tall x 120" wide. As I begin designing my items I want to lay them out on the page so that I can determine if each element I create looks go together. I zoom out so I can see everything. Maybe I need to make one item bigger and one smaller. I need to design at the "actual size" so that I can see how everything relates. Why is this important? Because I have to give an itemized list of what each element's height & width is for the viewer. Having the ability to lay it out even if I zoom out to see it allows me to get those measurments and see how everything looks.

Currently I can zoom out but it doesn't allow me to see the entire page. I find myself having to select the entire document then move it up, left, right, etc. to see things.

While I could save each element as a separate file. Then import them all into another sofware those are steps that simply don't make sense since I designed it in xara. Also not every feature I used in xara (shading, effects, etc.) translate well to another software.

This is must my example but I'm sure there are others that use xara for more than create a poster or photo type product. So all said making the ability to make wider pages seems to make sense. I can't be the only one that would find this beneficial
    Signed,
    Printchic
    Paintless Deco Impressions

Default Re: Please consider Adding Page size wider than 92" tall and wide

if I wanted a large print, I would set a scale factor to 1inch=2inch say and then all the measurements shown within xara would be at the larger size [doubled up], and when I exported/printed, if I set the export/print to 200% it would print at the larger size - I don't see a problem here with vector - or am I missing something?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...