Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Adding a Name to a line of text

This might be a Dear Xara... but I have been adding Names to text blocks having selected them with the Select tool.
    When you look at the source code the Name creates a SPAN tag with an id of the entered Name but it is an empty SPAN that precedes the text itself, which is in its own SPAN tag within a DIV tag.

When you try to manipulate the text by referring to the id, you miss it as you hit the SPAN that neighbours the text; the id is a child of the text SPAN and a grandchild of the DIV tag.

I have just tried selecting the text required, right-clicking and defining my id by picking Names... in the context menu. The id wraps around the text as it should.

Here is a simple output for both uses:
    Code:
    <div class="Normal_text" style="...">
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: -87px;font-size:96px;color:#FF0000;"><span id="selectTool"></span><span id="textTool">Text</span></span></div>
    I'm at least happy as it makes my coding simpler. I can use CSS or jQuery to flip or render right to left or otherwise manipulate the text in ways that can be dynamic or render it beyond what Xara can do natively.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Adding a Name to a line of text

[smack upside the head] I never knew if you selected text you could right click to access the Names Gallery.

This is useful for adding anchors to text.