Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Why did you release Web Designer 10 when it clearly isn't ready for release?

Coming a bit late to this exchange, all I can offer is this advice; the more specific a members request for help solving an issue is, the better the TG members and moderators can understand the problem and offer solutions. If a problem cannot be solved by the TG members then often we will contact Xara support directly and ask them to comment.

As Frances pointed out, all moderators are volunteer, we are not paid for our time. We do this because we have used Xara products for some time (I started in 1996), we like the products and the way they work, and we like to help others.
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Why did you release Web Designer 10 when it clearly isn't ready for release?

Rixar: 1) When you publish from Xara are you filling in the subfolder option? for example if your website files are located with in a public html file that is where you need to point xara to install them.

2) when you look at the files on your server using Filezilla do you see a collection of html files corresponding to the pages of your site and a folder labeled index_htm_files? The presence of this folder would indicate that your Xara software is publishing your site.

3) One thing to check in your WD 10 is that you have all updates installed, under the help menu select check for updates and the program will connect to Xara's servers and if there are any updates you will be prompted to install them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Hello to all:
    I've been updating the Web Design 10 software (or trying to) each day for the past several days. Fortunately a patch became available today. Xara's Kate (in cancellations) sent me a polite response to my most recently sent suggestion that we *withdraw* my cancellation request of earlier this week, in which she notified me about the patch's upcoming availability. I'm now in the process of activating that software patch, although I likely won't get to do much with it before 8 hours or so from now, as I have to (want to) attend some monthly classes this evening in my ongoing quest to become less ignorant. The teacher's a software engineer, but the courses are business-oriented. He laughed when I mentioned to him months ago that I heard that in software patching, if you fix 10 bugs you only get 22 more. :-)

By the way, I let Xara know that it was you TalkGraphics.com forum folks who inspired me to politely request (last night) to withdraw my (formerly increasingly irate) cancellation request. What you folks did reminds me of this scene from the blockbuster hit Avatar (with me, a male in real life, occupying the place of Neytiri and Xara that of Jake, with you guys that of the visiting pure spirits):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCfKrzLZzxw

I'm still admittedly taken aback by you folks and your loyalty to a company that I was ready to try and tackle, attorney-style. Anyhow I'll let you know how the patch turns out for me. Meanwhile have a great day, etc., Rich (Houston, Texas, USA)
    IP

Hello:
    The linking issue (i.e. external links from buttons and photo-containing panels) appears to be resolved by the latest patch. It's nice to see signs of progress. I'm still having FTP uploading issues even after following your abovementioned advice, although your advice seems to have helped us advance the uploading endeavor in some ways. I've stayed up all early morning working on this in hopes that Xara could get my feedback going into the weekend (when more patch-related work might be warranted). As it is now after 6a.m., it is time that I check out for a bit. May Web Designer 10 (nonpremium) achieve its potential, in mutually beneficial ways. Have a great weekend, everyone, Rich
    IP

We all try our best to help, personally I stay away from anything to do with the web because I no nothing about that program and that is not something I want to do. I am glad to hear that things are going better for you.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

Ok, this has gone far enough. The thread got moving in a positive and helpful direction, but has now veered away from that again. I'm closing this thread.
    IP