Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Angle Constraint flawed in XDP X9

You may have well hit the nail on the head there handrawn. Reduced the shape to a very small amount within the circle. Centered, grouped and rotated & this time the rotations were in 30, 60, 90, etc stages. However having said that, this behaviour is fairly recent (perhaps to do with html files) but needs documenting.

Have you a link to the BB discussion?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	restraint.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	102344  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

her you go - basically Phil recommended using snapping rather than alignment:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ht=#post505317

You, know this is maybe the first time, ever, that I have use angle constraint so I cannot say how far back it goes - I can check on xtreme 2 if anyone wants me too next time i am on my win 7 machine....

It is interesting to hear the Egg and handrawn have never user angle constraint. I use it ALL the time at home (PGD 7), just hadn't used it recently at work until now (XDP X9 64bit) not having much of a need for radial patterns at work.

But for me,

Ctrl+drag object centre to snap to centre-base of object
    Ctrl+rotate while right-click to create duplicates

is quick and convenient workflow for lots of situations, not just radial patterns.

As for how far back - well the bug is not in 7 but is in 9.

I can't replicate this in Design Pro6 or PDG 2013 both work well without the grid turned on. Using Quick Shapes and star selected, 4 points right up to 8 only using the even numbers because of the 30 angle. The I did a square, a line and a butchered oval (petal shape) with the centre of rotation at the bottom and yes Sadler I am with you on this I always double click then use Ctrl + right mouse button click to duplicate and all worked well. So maybe the bug, if there is one is from D Pro 9 onwards but in my older programmes from 4 through to 6 and PDG all work correctly.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I just wanted to add that this same constraint option also applies to Ctrl+drag of objects so IMHO it is reasonable to assume that rotation constraint was broken when this feature was introduced and that the constraints were conflated, confusing the developer and the users (well, me at least) in the process.

From Pro X (v8)

Ctrl+rotate alignment
    When rotating objects if you hold Ctrl down it now snaps any significant straight edge to the horizontal or vertical. This applies to text lines, columns and blocks, photos, Quick Shapes, lines and even freehand drawn shapes that have significant straight edges.

From v7

Non-axis aligned snapping
    You can now also align to lines that are neither vertical or horizontal.