Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WD9 Site and issue with Java

Hi

I've had a site up and running for a couple of months with no issues, no changes have been made to the design for while and all of a sudden there is an issue today with the menu on the site. It appears to be linked to java. When I try and access the site via Internet Explorer the menu does not function correctly. All other browsers are fine. The menu appears off the main area of the page and is therefore not clickable, it only happens on the index page and no other page, the site has a cms in it but again I took out recent additions via the cms and the problem still occurred.

If I click YES to allow Java to make changes to my computer, it comes up 3 times but still does not allow the menu to function as it should. Edited to add I think the java issue is on my computer rather than the website itself (I haven't used IE for a while) the problem still exists though on the site an only with IE.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, not sure what to do as site get lots of visitors at the moment and need to resolve asap.

Thanks
    D.
    Last edited by DAZZLER1607; 09 June 2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: bit about java

Default Re: WD9 Site and issue with Java

Sorry to ping you back on your description but do you really mean Java?

It probably isn't Java moving your menu off-page, as this would only be affected by your Java installation on your machine.
    Have you tried another PC, tablet or laptop to check?

It you have added a CMS then it is possible there is a conflict in your CSS files that affect presentation; the CMS could have changed and caused the problem.
    I don't think it is this either so you are left with JavaScript or some PlaceHolder pushing the menu out of the way.

I would think any direct help can only come from you advising the site's URL.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Sorry to ping you back on your description but do you really mean Java?

It probably isn't Java moving your menu off-page, as this would only be affected by your Java installation on your machine.
    Have you tried another PC, tablet or laptop to check?

It you have added a CMS then it is possible there is a conflict in your CSS files that affect presentation; the CMS could have changed and caused the problem.
    I don't think it is this either so you are left with JavaScript or some PlaceHolder pushing the menu out of the way.

I would think any direct help can only come from you advising the site's URL.

Acorn

Hi, thanks for your reply. Sorry no, I think I was confused with the Java message coming up every two seconds when I access IE (this is before I even visit the website). Nothing new has changed in terms of the cms or placeholders etc since the site launched a couple of months ago. What I have just tried though is adding the site to the compatibility view on IE and it is now working okay on the machine where I have added it. Obviously this has not fixed it for anyone else using IE though which is still a big problem.

I have tried it on other machines and it is the same only occurs in IE, everywhere else it works fine.

The website is here: www.st**one**law.s-lan**ark.sch.uk

Problem is only on homepage, the menu if you hover over NEWS/EVENTS appears off to the left, once you click on another page it is okay until you return to the homepage.

Obviously take out the ****. The last time I put in a web address is was quickly picked up with google and anyone searching for the website could see my post here on talk graphics looking for help with it, which is why I went fo ** sorry for hassle.

D.

Quote Originally Posted by DAZZLER1607 View Post
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Sorry no, I think I was confused with the Java message coming up every two seconds when I access IE (this is before I even visit the website). Nothing new has changed in terms of the cms or placeholders etc since the site launched a couple of months ago. What I have just tried though is adding the site to the compatibility view on IE and it is now working okay on the machine where I have added it. Obviously this has not fixed it for anyone else using IE though which is still a big problem.

I have tried it on other machines and it is the same only occurs in IE, everywhere else it works fine.

The website is here: www.st**one**law.s-lan**ark.sch.uk

Problem is only on homepage, the menu if you hover over NEWS/EVENTS appears off to the left, once you click on another page it is okay until you return to the homepage.

Obviously take out the ****. The last time I put in a web address is was quickly picked up with google and anyone searching for the website could see my post here on talk graphics looking for help with it, which is why I went fo ** sorry for hassle.

D.
    Anyone got any ideas on how to help, I would really appreciate it, thanks
    D.

Same thing happens in Firefox. Chrome is ok

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    Same thing happens in Firefox. Chrome is ok
    Your right, I thought I had checked that and it was okay, just checked again and it is not. Thanks for letting me know.

How does the site preview in WD9? Is it showing this odd behaviour there?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    How does the site preview in WD9? Is it showing this odd behaviour there?
    It previews as normal. The only reason I haven't republished the whole site to see if that helps is that it is over 80 pages and because of the cms in it I need to refresh every page and also this might not even fix the problem.

I think republishing your site should fix your problem. If it previews correctly, the preview is IE. I expect some file has become corrupt on your server. Okay, 80 pages may take a while to upload but if it fixes the problem it's resolved. If it doesn't you can eliminate another cause. As for having to refresh every page due to cms, I don't follow you. Your cms should automatically serve up the most recent content. Finally, delete your browsers cache so it's forced to renew the content. What have you got to lose? Publish the site anew, walk away, make a coffee or work on something else
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I think republishing your site should fix your problem. If it previews correctly, the preview is IE. I expect some file has become corrupt on your server. Okay, 80 pages may take a while to upload but if it fixes the problem it's resolved. If it doesn't you can eliminate another cause. As for having to refresh every page due to cms, I don't follow you. Your cms should automatically serve up the most recent content. Finally, delete your browsers cache so it's forced to renew the content. What have you got to lose? Publish the site anew, walk away, make a coffee or work on something else
    I use cushycms and for some reason even if I click only publish changed files then site doesn't keep the the last edit and it needs refreshed page by page, for some reason though this does not happen with smaller sites, it seems to all work okay unless I have made some design change or whatever.

Going to just go for a refresh, as you say at least it elimates something else, was just hoping for a really super quick solution - wishful thinking on my part!

Thanks for your input though.

D.