Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default New Wacom graphics tablet

Decided to get the WACOM CTL-INOUS-ENES graphics tablet and got it this morning. I'm new to graphics tablets so can anybody give a newbie some starters?

Default Re: New Wacom graphics tablet

don't drop the pen - if it comes with protective caps for when not in use, use them - mine were a bit loose so I wrapped a bit of magic tape round the barrel to make for a better fit [sellotape is not a good idea] - if the pen is dropped so that the tip is traumatised, even if it still works the sensitivity may be greatly reduced

practice a lot

programs like xara that do not have their own pressure sensitive calibration mean it is important to install the wacom software if you want to tweak the pressure profile ['tip feel' soft=>hard] and other settings

I draw fast, but if you do not even when sketching you can accidentally activate the pen buttons - I have them disabled in the wacom settings and use the mouse; I do not have to put the pen down for this I just swivel it up between the first two fingers with the other end across the thumb and can then use the mouse as normal which makes for very fast transition between the two

the older tablets used to be a bit 'glassy' and taping paper onto them was a good idea - shouldn't need to do this with the modern ones though I would have thought

The pen even works with my (2nd hand obsolete) HTC Blackstone PPC, I find these things and smartphones better than pen and paper note pads (you know what they're like and at least I can keep any notes in the right places) but for some reason my smartphone doesn't respone to it.

that probably isn't a windows device... ?

My pen for my tablet only works on the tablet not on the phones, all Androids. The pen for the Wacom only works on the Wacom, Yes I have tryed for what seemed like forever more than once before realizing my errors.
    Richard

Nobody told me I could use it like a mouse.
    Just used it on XPGD2013 as part of a small private project.
    I'll upload a video as soon as Google let me back into my Youtube account.

it's a pointing device - it controls the cursor - so yes you can use it like a mouse - you can use the pad keys for left right click [at least you can on mine], or use the buttons on the pen itself - it's all up to you, whatever suits you best