Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Windows 8.1 Drag and Not

I work with around 12,000 product images and build digital and paper flyers and booklets. When I was using windows 7 I would search for the images I required and would drag and drop them into Xara. With the changes in windows 8 I am no longer able to do this, I have to navigate to the image location and open it in Xara then move it into my current document, and this is driving me nuts! I would like to run an app that's docked on the right side of the screen (as the search panel does) that will allow me to search for the image I need and drag and drop it into Xara, I have tried a number of explore apps and none of them allow you to drag and drop. This may seem rather minor but I have a large workload and productivity is very important to me.

Anyone got a solution?

Default Re: Windows 8.1 Drag and Not

I have no problems dragging from windows explorer into designer x [ver 8] on win 8.1, or dragging from agent ransack either which I prefer for searching

Thanks handrawn, I can drag from explorer but this means I have to browse for the file rather than type in a part code and search for it. Also explorer wont dock on the side of the screen and allow me to search. This is what I'm looking for. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drag.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	102254
    Attached Files Attached Files

ok well I can drag from explorer search results [or agent ransack] on the desktop - can't help you with an app that slides out from the side though [if thats what you mean] I don't use that feature, I just split the desktop

If I am in the correct folder I get a drop down list of suggestions after I key in a few characters.

I wonder if this is controlled by a setting?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop down.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	102256  

That will work well if you are only looking in one folder at a time, we use images that are split into different categories and are split over a few locations, some local and some online. Using search allows me to find all versions of the images and choose the most appropriate version.

Well, in Windows 8, you can search in the Metro screen, then go to the file location (one additional step) and drag and drop into Xara. I just tried this and it works.

It's that "go to the file location" that drives me crazy, in windows 7 I could just type in the search box and drag and drop the result without switching between windows, but not in windows 8. A small issue I know, but you haven't seen my work load!

On a slightly different issue, I don't understand why MS removed e-mails from search results, to search for e-mail content in windows 8 you have to open Outlook and search inside. I like Windows 8, I think now they addressed some of the big gripes with the 8.1 update and large a step forward, but I think the search capabilities are a step backward.

It seems you cannot drag and drop from the win8.1 charm bar search, period - you can only open the file location.... views are mixed here as to whether that would apply to any 'metro' app or not - you may need to go back to the desktop....
    Last edited by handrawn; 04 June 2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: add 'search'

Thanks all, I guess I'll have get out of my old habits and get some new ones. Not necessary a bad thing...