Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: How do I add a search function

Gary has Atomz - http://www.atomz.com/ died?
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Aaah...ohh...pity

I've been looking at the addsearch site referenced above, and I'm wondering if I can use it via the HTML placeholder before I have actually published my site. Can you give more detail as to how you installed the HTML code in Web Designer?

I think the site has to be published to allow the search engine to index your site.

Annoyed with all current offerings, I've thrown this together this evening.
    It relies on Google knowing about your site.

It is a Placeholder Widget using Javascript so you need to modify the red code in the Body section.
    Play with the other parts at your own peril - no support can be offered; e.g., you can remove
    target="_blank"
    to have your results replace your current browser page.

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">//Enter domain of site to search.
    var domain="www.stourpaine.info" //replace this with your site domain

function GoogleSiteSearch(cur){
      cur.q.value="site:"+domain+" "+cur.searchTerm.value
    }
    </script>

<form action="http://www.google.com/search" method="get"  target="_blank" onSubmit="GoogleSiteSearch(this)">
    <p>Search [[Your website]]:<br /> <!--replace [[...]] with your details -->
    <input name="searchTerm" type="text" style="width: 200px" /> <input type="submit" value="Search" /></p>
    <input name="q" type="hidden" />
    </form>
    It defaults to a community site I support, which used atomz for its Search.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The missing demonstration file: Javascript - Google Site Search Form.web
    Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Annoyed with all current offerings, I've thrown this together this evening.
    It relies on Google knowing about your site.

It is a Placeholder Widget using Javascript so you need to modify the red code in the Body section.
    Play with the other parts at your own peril - no support can be offered; e.g., you can remove to have your results replace your current browser page.

Re Atomz:

An update on this: I receved this email 03/04/3014 as a reply to my email to sp-support@omniture.com which are owned by Adobe.

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Atomz Search offering. Unfortunately this service has been retired, and will no longer be available beginning on 3/31/14.
    The deadline for this offering was originally set for 12/21/13, and was extended twice, once until 2/1/14, and again until 3/31/14, but we will be unable to extend the service any further. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and your site.

Kindest regards,
    Adobe Digital Marketing
    Product Migration Team"
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Acorn - This is really cool, but, is there any way to get it to search a specific site instead of searching the entire web?

For example, searching for: Acorn site:talkgraphics.com limits the search to just TalkGraphics. Is there some way to modify your script to limit the search?

Great solution Acorn. Google do their own site search for free but it comes with ads. Your solution is far better as it appears ad free provided of course Google's crawled you site.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Re Atomz:
    A case of buying out the competition?
    Acorn