Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: How do I add a search function

Hi all - useful thread. I am wondering whether xara will consider adding a means to include a search function to a website, something like one gets in serif's webplus?

Hi Hunterdan

Have you read any of the posts in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hi Hunterdan

Have you read any of the posts in this thread?
    Yes, I have, thank you. [I had to log in with a second account as the thing won't let me do so with my first one, for some strange reason, even after I changed my password. I do hope that my posts are not viewed as spam, simply because I mention a competitor]

Re the info/posts on the thread. I do not use data mining scripts on my sites, if I can help it - I don't use my sites to give away data created by visitor behaviour, which helps to trace them and serve them ads. If it works for you, that's great, though I should tell you that the search function on your site is not very elegant. Personally, I don't use google if I can help it (try ixquick.com, instead), and any site that sends me to it is not likely to get a second look from me.

Now, for my actual question - I asked something which is not answered on this thread, here it is again - any indication that xara (magix or whatever) will include a function to add search boxes to sites. I mentioned webplus because I use it as well as xara web designer premium (v.8). I like certain aspects in the latter, and I have been looking at what the newer version (v.10 premium) offers with a view to upgrade. Then I see that it still doesn't have many of the features offered by the former. Like search, or a form builder, or shop cart, etc... It relies on third party scripts, instead (aka widgets). Needless to say, for these reasons I will not be upgrading my version of Web Designer MX Premium, which is probably what many others are doing.

So you see, I think it important that the question I posed is looked at more seriously. Because if I have a choice between a drag-n-drop function to add a self-contained search functionality within my website, or using a piece of software which doesn't have a similar function and which makes me dependent on data-harvesting external scripts, guess which one I am likely to go with?

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Hunterdan II; 13 December 2014 at 06:12 AM. Reason: To add to the post

Hunterdan - My apologies if I was rude.

My best guess is, unless it is a widget, then the answer is no. Xara believes in the flexibility of using placeholders to add the best solution to a problem like adding a search function, or various other scripts.

One solution I have used in the past is www.addsearch.com It is free (for the first 500 searches--then you have to subscribe) and does a good job of indexing your site and provides add free results. A subscription is not cheap, but if you have a site that can afford it, then this is a good way to go.

Acorn has a simple script that also works well, (see this link in this thread http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...460#post512460 ) and I think it is included in this thread. I have used it here www.PlacitasArtists.com Enter something like Pastel or Painting and it uses Google to provide the results. It is free and uses a placeholder to add it to the page.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hunterdan - My apologies if I was rude.
    You weren't rude, Gary Perhaps my tone is a bit abrupt, sorry about that.

Addsearch charges $9 per month (which works out to be more Aussie $), and it seems a great script if you are into targeted marketing and have a very large site.

The script which Acorn kindly shared is also great, if you don't mind repelling visitors who avoid google. It is a growing trend, as increasingly web users resent having their surfing habits and personal preferences harvested as data to be used in targeted advertising - I am one of those. Plus, the very use of a script that sends you to a google page not very elegant. What this basically communicates to some users is this: "You came here to look at my site, but if you want to search it I am going to send you to a google page without you being aware that it is sending you there (i.e., without your permission)" See the problem? I suggest putting a warning line under the search box (e.g. "Google search"), which then will make it okay, as you're not 'ambushing' your visitors.

Thank you for addressing my query, but I think I will be sticking with something that works for me at the moment. I won't abandon WD as it has some very excellent features (I particularly enjoy the clipart that comes with the package), but I'm not upgrading it until it offers more, the search function being a typical example.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gowa View Post
    Thank you very much! As an ixquick user I should have known about this. Great source!

oops posted on wrong thread.

This is the OP here. I have been following the thread with interest and have to agree that it should definitely NOT be necessary to employ external software or websites to make it possible for someone to search the content of my website. It is just basically a (simple?) database query... search through the text of this website, and this website only, to find instances of the "search term" and then present a list of links for my visitors to follow. That's it, nothing more grand, though I'd expect the query to filter out common "glue" words such as "if, and, the", etc. I don't want (and can't afford) to pay others to provide this facility, and I don't want my potential customers spirited away from me or spied upon. IMHO, it is a simple facility that could easily be included in WD10, and should be. Thankyou Hunterdan II for your participation in this.

Problem with that is a database needs php or perl access. Not all hosts provide this (or if they do they require higher hosting fees). Xara could perhaps supply content for the php or perl scripts but the user would have to set it up themselves first. Not a straight forward task for a drag & drop wysiwyg site builder.

Whether it could be done using a .txt or .xml file I'm unsure of.

This is just my understanding of the situation, but I'm no expert re this at all.

If a client want's a serious search function I would create the site in a CMS website add it via a component / plug-in.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host