Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Designer Pro - Saving A PDF

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question. Just joined!
    Can anyone help with a problem I'm having?
    I am trying to create a PDF which is just over 100MB in size, but the program times out before saving and says cannot save.
    I can save the working file no problem, just not export it as a PDF, unless I make it a smaller file.
    It needs to be 300dpi for printing.
    I'm using Windows Vista.

Any ideas on what I can try?

Thanks
    Garry

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro - Saving A PDF

How many pages is it? When I was creating Spookybeans, I had to export it in sections, and then combine the resulting PDF files in Acrobat Pro.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Welcome to TalkGraphics Garry

I wonder if it would work if you exported two PDFs of 50 pages each and asked the printer to combine them?

If you have Adobe Acrobat, you can combine several PDF documents into one. But that is a lot of money to spend if your printer can (and should be able) to do for you.

If you think this is worth a try then I would create two new XAR documents (save your original) and in the first document, delete the second 50 pages and in the second delete the first 50 pages then export each as PDF.

I guess it depends on if your document is mostly text, or just how many images you have. I create 60 to 90 page documents in Xara that has a photo image every 4 pages, sometimes full page art, and I find I can only accurately export about 15 pages at a time. As Ben suggests, I use Adobe Acrobat Pro to open the first section, then add pages per section until the full document is created. I've created about a dozen different publications doing this exact method. Some programs are better at exporting large complex document than Xara, but I live with this limitation by doing it the way I've just explained.

If it cannot create the PDF, how do you know it is just over 100 megs in size?

Without changing any of the parameters, can you export to PDF/X-1a? That will maintain a min of 300 dpi on bitmap effects, any photos over 300 dpi will be reduced to that threshold, any images below will be exported at their effective DPI.