Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi,

I tried to export a rectangle with a simple gradient fill, black to white, left to right. When I select to export, the preview image is banded (the default is seen on the right which has no dithering, optimized color palette, and 256 colors.

However, to get the image preview on the left, I have to select other values like dithered, 16 color, and so on and return to the default values (none, optimized, 256) to get the unbanded image.

Two people have encountered this on three different computers varying in hardware configurations (P3-733's and higher) and running XaraX 1.0b. What's even more curious about this, this quirk occurred on CorelXara 1.5!

Why do I have to mess with the dropdowns and return to the default settings to get the image I want? Any one know why this happens? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Milt
    Living down the road from Gary Priester...Lucky me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.gif 
Views:	233 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	677  

Hi,

I tried to export a rectangle with a simple gradient fill, black to white, left to right. When I select to export, the preview image is banded (the default is seen on the right which has no dithering, optimized color palette, and 256 colors.

However, to get the image preview on the left, I have to select other values like dithered, 16 color, and so on and return to the default values (none, optimized, 256) to get the unbanded image.

Two people have encountered this on three different computers varying in hardware configurations (P3-733's and higher) and running XaraX 1.0b. What's even more curious about this, this quirk occurred on CorelXara 1.5!

Why do I have to mess with the dropdowns and return to the default settings to get the image I want? Any one know why this happens? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Milt
    Living down the road from Gary Priester...Lucky me!

This seems to be the default for Xara. I got the same results and I had to select error diffusion dithering to get the smooth gradient.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

When I try this, the default is for no dithering and I get the banded preview image. When I choose error diffuson dithering I get a smooth dithered image. However, when I reset the dithering option to none I get the banded undithered image again - as I would expect but this is different that your experience Milt. So for me, I have to say it does exactly like it says on the tin.

Also, the options for screen dithering in Utilities|Options|View do not seem to make any difference to the displayed image. when I set the option to none I still get a smoothly dithered image on screen. I only tried this in case it made any difference to the default export dialog settings.

Brian