Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Problem Creating Seamless Fills - help needed!

as i read the first post, both those options were tried... but what does that option do Egg? presumably it applies locally just to those bitmaps so created, is that right?

Hi Handrawn,
    The help file explains it thus:
    Anti-aliasing

Anti-aliasing improves the appearance of graphics by smoothing jagged edges:

• Maintain Screen Anti-aliasing: The exported bitmap uses the exact same positioning as shown on screen, and so has identical anti-aliasing. This can result in the edges of objects being slightly blurred because they do not fall exactly on pixel boundaries.

• Minimize Visible Anti-aliasing: This will slightly reposition the objects by fractions of a pixel to minimize the anti-aliasing around the edge of the exported bitmap. If in doubt which option to use, select this.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

... that implies that the setting only takes effect when exporting a bitmap [what I would have expected] - so what happens if you then reimport it?.... hummm....

Don't understand your question Handrawn.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg from help
    the exported bitmap
    exported from where.. from the xara program presumbly - if you were to make a bitmap copy within xara would that bitmap copy have minimised anti-aliasing whilst it remained in xara, or only once it had been exported?

if you were to export a bitmap with the minimised anti aliasing and you reimported it would the global settings of the xara UI over-ride ?

in other words - how helpful is this when working within xara?

Generally when I am creating seamless textures, the intent is that I export the file, then import right back as I'd be using the seamless texture in Xara itself. I only ever use image editors to tweak colors, brightness, contrast, etc. I generally don't use image editors to do actual work, only for tweaking existing work. Even with those seamless textures I create in Xara and sometimes needing to crop the image to get rid of the anti-aliased straight edge, I'm not intending to use the seamless texture anywhere other than in Xara.

why export it and then reimport it? - does this give an advantage over making an internal bitmap copy?

what do you use to crop to get rid of the anti-aliased edge? - can you do that in xara?

The reduce anti-aliasing works on both "export" (jpg, gif etc), to create a external copy & "create bitmap copy" for an internal copy. I very rarely have issues with edges. If I do one thing I tendto do is create a clone of the original shapes you want to export, put to back and give it a single 0.5pix external contour. Then export the original shapes, not the contoured version behind. This just ensures the export has a similar background. However this should never really be necessary.

Perhaps Blues player could post his xar file that's displaying this problem?
    Egg

yes good idea - that's a variant on what we used to [still have to] do with gif's when exporting because of the limited colour palette

I don't make seamless tiles, I never have any issues with anti-aliasing 24/32 bit colour depth images normally, just trying to get a handle on it in context - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    why export it and then reimport it? - does this give an advantage over making an internal bitmap copy?

what do you use to crop to get rid of the anti-aliased edge? - can you do that in xara?
    Because some of my maps are intended for print at 24" x 36" at 300 ppi, I require 300 ppi seamless textures, not 96 ppi. There probably is no advantage, rather its just how I do it. Of course, I may also want to use the seamless texture at some future date, so I want to save it to my textures directory for that purpose.