Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi all,

To obtain the best image quality from a photo scan, should I use glossy photo stock or not?

Thanks in advance.
    IP

Hi all,

To obtain the best image quality from a photo scan, should I use glossy photo stock or not?

Thanks in advance.
    IP

Hi Dom

Probably the most important thing when dealing with scanning, is the density of the source material. In laymans terms, this translates into how black is the black in the image. Slides and negs are always going to have better blacks (if comparing similar subject matter). They typically have a density of about 3.3, where as reflective materials like a photoprint, have a density of 2 (and usually less)

As far as the glossy vs matte stock goes, I think you would get better results from the glossy. I am not really sure if the density of the source would change, but I think there is better blacks in the gloss paper. Also with a matte paper, there will be more of the reflected light waves scattering into odd directions and this could affect your scan to some degree. You will get less of this scattering with a smoother surface.

Beth
    IP