Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: May 2014 Giveaway -

I enjoyed filling this planer shape, again adding transparencies and effects, might not be to everyone's taste but curiosity again got the better of me to see what I could do this time. The tile btw is from the Genetica Viewer.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	102065  
    IP

Ooooh, Spacey! And I don't mean Kevin Spacey (or perhaps I do). That particular model when I ran it through that planar modeling program, wouldn't resolve itself in the centre, so I'm glad you were inspired to put a mysterious light source in there just to clear things up.

I hate black holes, always getting lost in them.

Love what you're doing, and more importantly WHY.

You just keep growing, man.

-g
    IP

Here's a little something extra this month, seeing as only one of the 6 planar shapes is popular.

I created this a few sec' s ago:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-21-2014 6-22-26 PM.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	102067

Now you tell me that it's not do-able to add texture to, or it's too hard!

-g
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

I like all the 6 shapes but not got round to doing the other four yet, I try to think of a theme, so to speak, for each shape. The extra 2 shapes are really good and I will definitely make an attempt at them, don't want to flood it with brick tiles but I have something in mind I will try.

Stygg
    IP

Just thought I'd show my progress with the new file, this is not easy guys, it looks simple enough with the colourd shapes but mapping in the guides layer is enough to make me pull my hair out, if I had any and then when I've finished all the mapping, got to start thinking about a theme and what fills But seriosly, you need plenty of concentration but a worth while project.

Stygg

Name:	Progress.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	102074  
    IP

I don't give out easy challenges, stygg, and your approach is remarkably logical and mature as an artist.

Go back to the Free Stuff from months ago and if you don't find a worthwhile texture, I'll post some subtle ones such as concrete.

I think the trick to this one is m inding the brightness values, the shading.

-g
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I don't give out easy challenges, stygg, and your approach is remarkably logical and mature as an artist.

Go back to the Free Stuff from months ago and if you don't find a worthwhile texture, I'll post some subtle ones such as concrete.

I think the trick to this one is m inding the brightness values, the shading.

-g
    I agree Gary but not sure to make the fills of some of concrete and brick or just the steps in stone and the walls in plaster with different shadings (light and dark) as for the V shape, not sure about that at all. I would appreciate any suggestions and concrete or plaster fills if you have any. I've uploaded the final mapping and I think it's as close as I could get to your image.

Stygg

Name:	Update 2.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	102094  
    IP

Let me help out a little, Stygg. Firt off, it would be more helpful for you to previsualize the planar surfaces by tone instead of color coding the number of them.

I took a whack at doing one set of stairs in concrete and it was useful for me, visually, to see the the tops of the steps for example, are lighter than the 90 angle opposing surfaces.

Name:	5-24-2014 10-39-01 AM.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	102098

I've attached this file and 3 stone seamless tiling textures are in the *.xar file.

I used overlays towards the bottom of the steps, a black shape with transparency.

Good luck!

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Stygg I have started with the second house so when you are ready, they could be combined together to one composition

Anyway it would be a maybe interesting bitmap fills versus fractal fills comparison, as this version was an experiment containing exclusively fractal fills so without any bitmap one

Name:	TheHouseOfEscher.png 
Views:	205 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	102113

The House of Escher_FractalFills.xar
    Last edited by csehz; 25 May 2014 at 09:57 AM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Let me help out a little, Stygg. Firt off, it would be more helpful for you to previsualize the planar surfaces by tone instead of color coding the number of them.

I took a whack at doing one set of stairs in concrete and it was useful for me, visually, to see the the tops of the steps for example, are lighter than the 90 angle opposing surfaces.

Name:	5-24-2014 10-39-01 AM.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	102098

I've attached this file and 3 stone seamless tiling textures are in the *.xar file.

I used overlays towards the bottom of the steps, a black shape with transparency.

Good luck!

Gary
    Thanks for the tiles Gary, I had already completed my attempt before I read your post and looking at your fills compared to my effort, well, looks like I've got a lot of alterations to do but my first attempt makes me a bit wiser

Stygg

@ csehz- nice effects, does make a good comparison between bitmap and fractals.

Name:	555.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	102114  
    IP