Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Xara Web Premium 10 RUINED My Clients Website!!!!

Yes, I too found out the hard way about the "Stop Sharing." Could be more intuitive for sure. I'm still playing around with it and will see where it leads. Personally, I think the mobile variant should not share by default.

OK... I think I may be making headway with this. Check it out now and see what you think... http://ntunemusic.com

I have checked it out all the way down to my iPod Touch and it seems to be working and looking OK. I would still rather have some sort of option to have the navigation work better. I have a vertical navbar on the side that I wish would work the way I'm expecting in a responsive design. Hopefully you know what I mean by that. In a true responsive design, the navigation takes on a completely different form than what I'm seeing on this site.

Please, share your thoughts and ideas. I am open to suggestions. Of course, the client has to like it first and foremost and may not be as open to changes.

Thanks

Yep, could definitely make it look much better if I could figure a navbar solution that was more responsive. Otherwise, it IS working for now. I will continue to tweak and play but it's getting there.

I am noticing that some of the text is off in places. None of the text is being shared and it looks fine in the program, but upon publish, it's messed up in several areas. I'll have to figure out what is causing the problem... Can't seem to find it since all is well inside of WD10.

Sharing content and text is the whole idea / point of variants, otherwise you may as well simply have two websites for your RWD solution. The size and position of that content is local to each variant and this can be changed freely without effecting the other variants. If you do not want an item on the page to be shared across all variants just go to "Utilities" > "Website variants" > "Stop Sharing with variants" option.

It doesn't matter if the site is simple or complex, if you have multiple variants that you want to change the photo or description, its pointless having to go through each one and making changes, especially if you have a few and many changes. If the content is too big for your smaller size variants, just resize it or reduce the column / text area size so it falls on two or more lines.

If you click on an object, and look in the top right corner of it, it will have two backslashes "\\" to signify that it is being shared. Just look for this before making any changes to the content (again, moving it or resizing it is fine).

We will look into clarifying this better however.

Rob

“Xara Web Premium 10 RUINED My Clients Website!!!!”
    Thank you for the special and very interesting wording of this headline.
    With this post, it will be 26 smiles on my face.

“Please, share your thoughts and ideas.”
    OK, please stop crying like some baby in grade school.

And in the end? "Can't seem to find it since all is well inside of WD10."

Come on, this is the first release of a program that has had many changes.
    Xara has done a super job. Give them some time to fix the bugs. It may take two or three patches.
    Xara had the foresight and committed resources to make RWD a reality and be one of the first to deliver.
    It was not we are working on it, or we will release it sometime in the future or later this year. But now!
    They deserve a lot of credit.

Hey, I was in the supermarket over the weekend and the National Enquirer had a headline about the real reason OJ killed Nicole Brown. She was carrying a fully-grown six year old alien child. The truth, stranger than fiction. Fits quite well in this thread.

Cheers, Donald

As Rob says, sharing text between variants is very powerful and saves you from typing things over and over again to keep your variants in sync manually.

To ensure that the /content/ of text is shared between variants but not the /style/ of the text, you should use "Update style in this variant" to protect the style in one variant from changing when the style is changed in another.

To create a single button navbar that automatically links to all the pages in your site, delete all the buttons in a navbar except one and then turn on "site navigation bar". You'll see that menu items are then added to that button for all the pages in your site.

Have a look at the templates labelled "(R)" in the Designs gallery to see all of this in action.

Phil

Hi Phil.
    I understand.
    When I added a variant for mobile on a site I created in version 9, the text boxes themselves needed to be moved on the mobile variant.
    That moved them as well on the main site, which is a problem.
    That's why I also stopped all my text boxes from being shared.
    I got tired of having to go back and forth moving things constantly.
    It's not an issue for me since the text itself hardly changes once it's set up, but I can see the frustration.

Hi Merlin,

Moving things in one variant should not move them in another, so something's wrong there. Can you post a file that does that here for us to look at?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Hi Merlin,

Moving things in one variant should not move them in another, so something's wrong there. Can you post a file that does that here for us to look at?

Phil
    Hey Phil.
    I already unlinked the text for the different variants in the last site I updated.
    I don't have any at this point that need work.
    If I run into it again, I'll open a new post or support request.
    Thanks.