Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation Combining text with shape problem

I am trying to combine the word "The" (Belwe CN BT) with an oval shape. It combines, but changes from bold to regular. I converted the text to an object, but I still have the problem. It is driving me crazy - help!

OK - I figured it out. The oval had an outline on it. Duh. Thanks anyway!
    Last edited by augdogdad; 11 May 2014 at 04:51 PM.

Default Re: Combining text with shape problem

Welcome to TalkGraphics.

Select the text and the oval and press Ctrl J (as in Join).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	101969  

Gary, I wasn't aware of this shortcut until I just read this thread. I knew I could add text to a curve, but not to a shape. I just tried this for myself, but when I select the text and the shape, and press Ctrl J, all it does is group the oval and the text, and the oval changes colour (becomes the same colour as the text). Is there a different way to do this? Thanks

Edited to add: I did try searching Xara help before posting, but could find no info, other than fitting text to a 'curve'

Well this is not fitting text to a curve. But I think it is what the original poster to this thread was asking.

To fit text to a curve, oval or path, select the text and select the path or curve and Arrange > Fit Text to Curve. The results will vary depending on how the text is aligned.

Ah, OK. I thought he meant that he was getting the actual text/word itself to take on the shape of an oval, which sounded like a cool and easy gimmick. Cheers.