Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Reconfigure mouse button for panning?

After upgrading my ThinkPad and migrating from XP to 7, I can no longer pan with the middle mouse button. When I click the middle mouse button the cursor turns into a hand, but when I then touch the TrackPoint it just doesn't move. In another application I have a similar issue with the middle mouse button. So this seems to be a driver issue: Clicking plus moving doesn't work.

Can I reconfigure Xara to allow panning with, for example, Shift + right mouse button?

Default Re: Reconfigure mouse button for panning?

if you press alt+x you should be able to use the push[pan] tool with the left mouse key and it will revert back when you release the keys

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if you press alt+x you should be able to use the push[pan] tool with the left mouse key
    Thanks. I realized that hitting space has the same effect.

and it will revert back when you release the keys
    Not for me. But if I hit space after finishing panning, then I get back to the tool that I was using before.

Hm, maybe I'll get used to that behavior. At the moment it still feels slower than just pressing the middle mouse button.

it should revert when you release, whether using space or ctrl+x, AFAIK - though I have made some customisations to my key settings - if you have pro version and you look in key customisation 'toggle to push tool' is the command in question [there is also a 'toggle push' but that appears to be something different]

if you have pro version
    Yes. I use Xtreme Pro 5.1 and the X9 Pro trial (one day left), and I plan to update to X10 once it is released.

'toggle to push tool' is the command in question
    It's assigned to space and to Alt + a. It doesn't toggle back automatically.

have you disabled the touchpad? - if not you could try that and see if the mouse/keyboard then work as expected - it could well be a driver problem...

have you disabled the touchpad?
    Yes, and I disabled scroll wheel emulation: By default, when clicking the middle button and moving the TrackPoint, one can scroll in documents, also in Xara (but I don't like that). However, then the middle button does not function as middle mouse button. There is a tool called TPMiddle which brings back middle mouse button clicking, but clicking only: When pressing the button and moving the TrackPoint, then scroll wheel emulation gets activated.

it could well be a driver problem...
    As I wrote in my initial post, indeed this seems to be a driver issue. In fact I read in another forum that in Windows 8.1 it is no longer possible to disable scroll wheel emulation in the driver's settings.

Anyhow, I am now working with space, and I think it's only a matter of time until I get accustomed to it. No big deal.

ok - your hardware configuration is different to mine - I have an HP laptop with synaptics touch pad and the system is set to automatically disable touchpad when mouse is connected

space is what I used before I had a three wheel mouse

Hi Feklee,

I have a thinkpad X61 tablet/laptop with the TrackPoint. To get the same effect as holding the spacebar to switch to the "panning hand" instead of the scroll, you need to put it in smooth mode instead of standard. To get there, go to control panel...mouse...trackpoint tab...in the scrolling section, choose scrolling, then click the settings button in that section, then from the scrolling type, select smooth - click OK, then make sure to apply and then see that Xara will allow you to hold the middle button and move the "eraser/nub thingy" while holding it and it should allow you to pan around the document rather than going to scroll mode.

This will also change the way the scroll icon looks in other applications, like websites, but I think it behaves much more like the mouse wheel button on a mouse would.

Does that address your issue?

Quote Originally Posted by slavelle View Post
    from the scrolling type, select smooth
    Awesome, this works!

This will also change the way the scroll icon looks in other applications, like websites
    I set up all of the TouchPad for scrolling. So I don't need to have that functionality on the TrackPoint.