Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gee. I logged on to this forum expecting to find good advice about using PS and find a nest of PC vipers. Do we have to do this here?

Everyone has a preference. Mine is Mac. If the rest of you want to fiddle with and torture yourself with wintel boxes, be my guest. I won't try to convert any of you if you all will not make disparaging comments about my choices. OK? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Darleen
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Gee. I logged on to this forum expecting to find good advice about using PS and find a nest of PC vipers. Do we have to do this here? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are we reading the same messages

Somebody posts a request about building / configuring a photoshop system and a few people answer with some reasonable advice.

Speaking as one of the 'vipers' please tell me how we can provide an answer to such a question without incurring the wrath of users such as yourself

To the best of my knowledge it is not possible to go out and build a Macintosh compatible computer so it was reasonably assumed that the person wished to configure a 'wintel' system to use Photoshop.

It was even mentioned that the user may wish to consider looking at the latest Macintosh computer.

I have studied each message in this thread in context and can find no reason for a statement such as yours.

Peter.

Me, I'd like to consider myself non-venomous
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

I am learning [very slowly it seems] to use some 3-D packages. When I phoned about a computer, the nice lady asked if I would require G-L-I-D-E, and lacking insight, I asked what it was, and she suddenly knew nothing [hhhmmmm?], so I still know nothing about Glide. I believe it is for CAD/CAM.

I am an IBM lover, and I guess they will not be loading Win2000 [here I am in a minority again], but I do want to use the system for 3-D and for Macromedia, and for Camcorder work [30 Gig drive = 15 minutes of time [pre-layer collapse], if you are using After Effects, [so I have been told]. The fellow had 3 - 30 gig drives to put his work on, before final copy, & export to Apple QT.

I have also heard of systems which use a boot drive [IDE], and a working drive [SCSI]... does anyone have any further info on that? I would like to work SCSI, for obvious reasons, but having the boot/OS sector separate might be a good idea, too...

TIA
    anoa0sally@uswest.net
    IP

Ok, without slamming PC's, lets discuss the facts.
    PC's do not have an adequate color management system for pre-press. So if your work is going on press, go with a Mac. If your work is going on the web a PC will do the job although not as well.

As for Ma c Systems, a 400 to 500 MHZ G3 or G4 with 256 Meg of Ram, Rage Pro 16meg Graphics Card, and some sort of portable drive for transfering your files to a service bureau (Zip seems to be the way to go).

In recent tests running Photoshop 5.5 the Macintosh G4 500Mh z was clocked at almost twice the speed of a Pentium 750Mhz. Don't be confused by the way Apple under rates their systems.

As for hard drives stick with SCSI they are faster. End of Story. Monitors - Don't Scrimp a cheap monitor is exactly that. So ny, Mitsubishi
    or Apple is all I would use, unless you have lots and lots of cash then go with a Barco Prepress calibrated monitor (Big Bucks)

If your work is going on press stick with the Mac platform, Service bureau's prefer it. Most use Mac because of color consistency, and font accuracy.¿

[This message was edited by Robin on September 19, 2000 at 04:38 PM.]
    IP