Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Comic Sans reborn?

I came across this and found it interesting!
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...nt-cool-again/

And the new font can be downloaded for free here
    http://comicneue.com/

Comic Neue is much cleaner than comic sans and the angular version is rather nice too, so what do you think? You can install the true type files and Xara programs will embed them.
    Last edited by angelize; 07 May 2014 at 09:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Comic Sans reborn?

interesting find

can't be any worse

[an here am I installing windows 98SE in vmplayer so I can run a legacy cutout animation program that refuses to install in wndows 8 whatever the compatibility/admin settings - ah could be the 90's all over again..]

I don't understand why comic sans is so hated. I like it (so what does that say about me?) but am switching anyway.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

It is very loosely made, some might even say sloppy [to be fair it was never intended to be a mainstream font that 'just happened'], and so very difficult if not impossible to kern/track properly, and this shows...if you are sensitive to such things, no-one says you have to be, but designers and letterers usually are
    Last edited by handrawn; 14 May 2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: that would be letterers not letters

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Comic sans also became badly misused. It was a fair font for a casual childlike piece but at one point it was being used for everything and anything.

But what about the Neue version? Does anyone have an opinion on how you might use it? Do you think the changes to the basic structure of the font have improved it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Don't know why everybody hates it, I like it and the new

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comic Sans.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	102021  

Looks like Stygg and I are in agreement on this.

EDIT: Interesting points handrawn. Thanks.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

thing is, in certain areas - comics [as in graphic novels] for example, comic sans has 'cliché' status for a lot of the professionals - I don't hate it, but I'd hate to have to use it [for certain things where I know it will look stereotypical\stale and perhaps even amateurish]

I totally agree handrawn, if I recieve a letter say from my solicitor it will be 9 out of 10 times - Times New Roman 12pt, which is fine, we expect it to look professional and buisness like but if we recieved the same letter in Comic Sans, we'd probaly think this guys a joker totally un-professional and I have no doubt you would'nt trust him to run your affairs. By the same rule when we see an advert such as "we must be mad selling at these prices" it would not look right or have the same impact in Times New Roman but in Comic Sans or the like totally acceptable and suite the context of the advert. My point being there's a correct place and use for most fonts so why we hear people say they hate such and such a font baffles me. I think sometimes there's a type of snobbery or elitism about fonts and typography, most annoying, but all this is just my opinion

Stygg

sure - get elitism everywhere... horses for courses...