Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bucket Fill Tool

Click an area - and the tool fills in a vector shape to the area bound by lines or other shapes.

I do a lot of work with floor plans and want a simple way to infill walls or a rooms floor area with a single click in the area.

Thanks

Default Re: Bucket Fill Tool

Yeah that would be cool.

Xara is a vector based solution vs. Photoshop which is a pixel based solution. Both programs have some crossover features but each was designed to operate in a very different way.

While you can do a modified amount of pixel selection in Xara you would need a lot more support to use a bucket fill.

the OP request was for vector fill -I don't think it has anything to do with pixels as such [though I am not saying they would not be involved at all] - closer to live paint in illustrator

in xara you can only fill closed shape objects - if you have an area which 'closed' but the 'boundary' is made up from outline of more than one object you can't fill these directly, whereas in illustrator, and inkscape, you can [and you can also fill areas that are completely closed, although it is often rather fiddly/patchy and zoom dependant]

so basically it is a question of automatically combining areas and then breaking shapes and keeping the appropriate shape for the fill [discarding the others] whilst preserving the original object structure - not saying that would be easy in xara as we know scripting isn't [apparently]

Inkscape actually implements it as rasterization, followed by a flood fill and then a re-vectorisation. Which may go a long way to explain why it is zoom dependent.

thanks Luke.. that might explain why you can 'flood-fill' an area of a bitmap with inkscape...

Wouldn't this be similar to 'Paste Attributes' (or the Paste Attributes Brush I requested) where the attributes are copied from the first object and applied to successive objects?

It would make sense to do one floor or one wall exactly the way you want it and then copy and paste the attribute to the other objects.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...877#post499877
    Sheff
    My Site

Hmm pro's and cons.
    Pro: you do not have to select an object.
    Con: it does not fill an object but creates a new filled object instead (can't see another solution). Leaks can appear. Issue: how do you handle objects that are on other layers? Are they used as boundaries as well?

I think I would rather select an object and hit CTRL-SHIFT-A to paste the attributes and use the layers to 'cut' underlying objects.

What I was requestion is a way to make a vector shape that fills the void area bound by other vector shapes -- ie the floor area of a room, after you have drawn the walls.

this would be exactly line the ios app Adobe Ideas - when you draw a set of shapes you can fill the void with a vector shape by simple press an hold in the 'void' it then flood fills out with a new shape -- if it is not fully closed it flashes an ink splat to let you know it was not a closed area.

+1. I can get behind this. Can the effect be accomplished using current tools? Yes, but it involved several fairly complicated steps (combine objects, break shapes, delete unwanted objects, etc), so having this would simplify things quite a bit. Doesn't seem as difficult or complex as the once-controversial eraser (and shape painter) tool, and they implemented that just fine.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com