Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe's garage

My 1. big image , completely done with XaraX. Don't know how much time it took to draw those 1300 objects , cause I'm allways working on a bunch of images parallel .
    The main difficult for me was the non-usage of bitmaps and textures , also to make the scene don't look to clean .
    + and - comments desired
    jay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JoesGarage.jpg 
Views:	600 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	5792  

My 1. big image , completely done with XaraX. Don't know how much time it took to draw those 1300 objects , cause I'm allways working on a bunch of images parallel .
    The main difficult for me was the non-usage of bitmaps and textures , also to make the scene don't look to clean .
    + and - comments desired
    jay

Hi Jay,

I like the '59 chevy Impala and the entire drawing. The .jpg artifacts take their toll, but over all I like it.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Very nice image and skillfully done, Jay. I remember the old yellow and black California license plates too. Although the backdrop looks like New Mexico or Arizona. The driver of the Impally must have been on a vacation.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Even So Humble...

Soquili, it's a 1960 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I reboot Windows for a living
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

Gary,

It could also be highway 395 on the East side of Mt. Lassen.

Very Nice, Jens.

I know what you mean about the application of texture or fractal fills. It one the most difficult aspects of "rendering" for me in Xara.

Can you discuss the general approach you used for the points of perspective, etc., or is it a "trade secret"?

Did you pre-draw the perspective planes (vanishing point lines) in another app and then import into a back layer in Xara ?

Did you "freehand" the oval faces that are atop the pumps or use the envelope or perspective tools to distort an oval shape along the vanishing point lines?

Any other tricks or short cuts.

and I can't remember what follows. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks Raffon, I would have sworn that the '59 was the last year to have fins.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I could have sworn while scrolling down past your image that I saw the right red car light flash! Anyway, I love the image, the car is very well done and everything around it. The chrome is the part I like the most, very real looking! The clouds have a nice effect also. The only thing I could critic on is the background and road, they're kind of a little too blurry, makes the image look a little messy, but not taking away from the beauty of it in the least! Great job [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Jay - What a beautiful drawing! The hours of detailed work paid off handsomely. It looks to me like it should be the cover of a music CD as it convays such a strong mood.

In difference to Steve (we all have our own opinions right?) I rather like the pavement. To me it hightens the realism. If I dare offer any criticism it relates to shadows. I notice the pumps casting a shadow on the pavement yet the majority of their fronts facing the car do not appear to be shadowed as expected. Likewise the building casts a ground shadow yet we see the building sign having its own drop shadow. These inconsistancies suggest to me the shadows need a touch more work. Doing so IMHO would make this great drawing even better.

John - You refer to "Yens" in your post. Perhaps you are confusing this Jay with the other Jay [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>