Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default The background layer

I hate to sound like a complete dolt (though I'm really feeling like one) but I need some help with creating a grid on the background layer.

I started watching the Page Design tutorial from 11/13, figuring I could get a better handle on how to do the layout for a photo I'm working on. As is the norm for me, the tutorial created more questions than answers about this subject. I downloaded the files but just could not reverse engineer what I wanted to learn from them.

I worked with layers a little bit earlier on when I was still using Xtreme 5 but I haven't dealt with them much lately. My point is, use small words when you're explaining this to me. I can see the Background layer in the Page & Layer Gallery but I cannot seem to manipulate it any way. That's basically where I'm stuck.

In the "Time for Skiing" file, the grid used is similar to what I'd like to work with - I just need more rows & columns. The only grid I've been able to produce is via the right-click menu to "Show Grid". It's OK, but not what I really need for lining up the images on the layout. If y'all would kindly explain to me how to set up a grid similar to that, I would be eternally grateful. (Like I'm not already eternally grateful. Just consider a little longer eternity of gratitude)

Thanks!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skiing Example.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	101861 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	What I Got.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	101860

Default Re: The background layer

Gary's file is using guidelines. Not the grid...at least if I recall properly. Using guidelines, there will be a guidelines layer added if not present. You can drag guidelines out from each of the rulers and right-clicking on them will allow one to access its Properties to precisely enter a value if desired. Right-clicking over a ruler or over the Guideline layer in the Page and Layer Gallery will allow one to choose the Properties for the Guideline payer, one tab of which has all the guidelines listed and they can be managed there.

The grid can be adjusted for major and minor values in the Page Options dialog.

Mike

There is a grid that you don't even need to create. Window > Show Grid.

Logically you would think that the Background is the correct layer to use for a grid, but this is not the case.

As Mike points out, you want to use the Guide layer.

You can drag guides from the screen rulers (Ctrl L to show rulers if they are not displayed).

You can also add any lines or shapes to the Guides layer and these will act as snap to guides. (See attached XAR file)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks, so very much, once again! I'm sure, somewhere in the manuals for DPX & X9, this information can be found but for some reason, I can never ferret it out. I still maintain that the search function needs to be improved in the online version. Also, I say yet again: I'd never get anything done if not for you guys. Thanks again!!