I hate to sound like a complete dolt (though I'm really feeling like one) but I need some help with creating a grid on the background layer.

I started watching the Page Design tutorial from 11/13, figuring I could get a better handle on how to do the layout for a photo I'm working on. As is the norm for me, the tutorial created more questions than answers about this subject. I downloaded the files but just could not reverse engineer what I wanted to learn from them.

I worked with layers a little bit earlier on when I was still using Xtreme 5 but I haven't dealt with them much lately. My point is, use small words when you're explaining this to me. I can see the Background layer in the Page & Layer Gallery but I cannot seem to manipulate it any way. That's basically where I'm stuck.

In the "Time for Skiing" file, the grid used is similar to what I'd like to work with - I just need more rows & columns. The only grid I've been able to produce is via the right-click menu to "Show Grid". It's OK, but not what I really need for lining up the images on the layout. If y'all would kindly explain to me how to set up a grid similar to that, I would be eternally grateful. (Like I'm not already eternally grateful. Just consider a little longer eternity of gratitude)

Thanks!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skiing Example.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	101861 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	What I Got.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	101860