Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Default Re: Glory Daze

Hi Gary,

I just have to ask, how did you guys come up with the name Strombecker Lighthouse?

My Christmas present when I was about 12 was a Strombecker slot car set. Lighthouse was a great Canadian band formed in 1968 that I had the privilege of seeing in concert at Massey Hall in Toronto in 1972.

So,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strombecker Lighthouse.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	115910
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

You rebellious youth. Being young was a blast wasn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Attachment 115901

Very cool Gare! Which one is you?

I still sing in our church choir but because of my eyes it's getting more difficult because I cannot see the notes and words at the same time. Actually after my brain hemorrhage it has taken me many years to get get back some of what I had.

Sort of the same thing with my eyes and controlling my hands and doing any artwork, but then I never was as creative as you. I was just good at delineating and painting which I really miss.
    Larry, it's my firm belief that anything anyone else sees as a "gift" is usually offset by a deficiency in some other part of the "gifted" person's life.

IOW, it was great being a young, stupid kid with a knack for bass guitar. I also had rining in my ears for a year, and probably destroyed some of my hearing in the lower ranges. Then I got totally out of shape because I took a desk job after the band years. When we gigged, we were greedy and didn't pay roadies...we moved x amount of pounds ourselves, before and after playing.

The second part of my story isn't as attractive as the first part, is it?

Cheers,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Hi Gary,

I just have to ask, how did you guys come up with the name Strombecker Lighthouse?

My Christmas present when I was about 12 was a Strombecker slot car set. Lighthouse was a great Canadian band formed in 1968 that I had the privilege of seeing in concert at Massey Hall in Toronto in 1972.

So,

Name:	Strombecker Lighthouse.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	115910
    Actually, the guitarist came up with the name. "Strombecker" based on that toy racing car set (!), and "Lighthouse" because it sounded cool. We almost became Strombecker Dumptruck, Gary confided to me.

We had two "hits", the local variety. I don't know how much airplay we got, but I do know that the local DJ banned us from airplay because Gary had said something unflattering about "George in the A.M." someplace very public. So the band had to change our name for about a year to "Stinkfoot"—based on a name for stinky feet" in a TV commercial at the time.

The whole thing is a fond memory most of the time. And, no we were totally unrelated to Lighthouse and Edison Lighthouse, the fellows who had the hit "Love Grows where my Rosemary Goes". But our lead signer Pat had a sister, Rosemary.

Name:	Me-with-Ricken-backer.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	115923

So I'm still playing, except the songs now are about prune juice, Rogaine® and liver spots.

Because I owe it to the loving memory of Frank Zappa.

-g

Yeah Gary, I was wondering if you had some hearing loss because of the volume of the amps.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Yeah Gary, I was wondering if you had some hearing loss because of the volume of the amps.
    Huh?

What?

Name:  ear-with-bud.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  4.6 KB

My hearing is not why I replied to you, Larry.

My point is that everyone has their gift, and everyone has their need to compensate for one self-perceived deficiency or other.

Half the secret to Life (okay, 3/8th) is to discover and exert your gift before you croak.

You're a great artist and you know it.

Now, let's take a go at the remaining 5/8th.

:)

Gare

OK Gare. I totally agree. On my part at least it is not self perceived but an unfortunate fact and I am very much troubled by it. I will not bring it up again. I am not a great Artist, I know that, just a good painter.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I am not a great Artist, I know that, just a good painter.
    Not a good attitude, Larry. You're better at art than you imagine!

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Not a good attitude, Larry. You're better at art than you imagine!

-g
    Hope so. If I am it is because I work so hard at it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Hope so. If I am it is because I work so hard at it.
    Don't hope, Larry. Just know it.

I don't know which way to hold a brush.

I failed both Watercolor and Oils in college.

I wound up using markers in advertising and then the computer.

But I can also play "In A Gadda Da Vida", not that anyone wants to ever hear that one again!

:)

-g