Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Default Cartoonery

This is actually the style of cartooning I'm the most comfortable with. That and a caricature once in a while, because it affords me latitude while expressing myself and precision doesn't get in the way. :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smirks.png 
Views:	275 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	102397

Name:	caricature.jpg 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	102398

Fool Disclosure: I draw these guys, pencil sketch, ink (usually a Flair pen, I suck with an actual cartoonist's brush), kneaded eraser to clean up the drawing, scan to TIFF, bring it into Xara or Vector Magic to translate the lines to vector shapes, then into Xara for colouring.

My Best,

Gary

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Cartoonery

All this talk about comic books has brought back some happy childhood memories for me too My favourite comics were a different bunch, I used to love the Archie comics. Even though they were set in a fictional town in USA, Riverdale could have been any small town anywhere.

Of the two pieces above I like the first one best, those two characters are quirky, happy and they make feel that you had fun creating them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Of the two pieces above I like the first one best, those two characters are quirky, happy and they make feel that you had fun creating them.
    Yes, the professor looks a bit pooped by it all.

Thank you!

This image here is cartoon-ish—I began with a pen and ink drawing, didn't get around to coloring it until Xara came out, and then eventually tried to model the cartoon. I think the 2D version is more clear to read, but it was a fun experiment going from a 2D cartoon to 3D.

Name:	Ant-aliasing.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	102407

My Best,

Gary

Hi Gary you stated when you went to High School that you had to unlearn things! I found it different as I knew how to get action into my drawings from my copying days, maybe action is the wrong word, as I knew that figures didn't stand upright when walking or when pushed they moved to counteract the applied force and things like that. I was pushed to do more than a plain and simple life drawing at school as I was asked to do my parents at work or at home doing just the average things. No "still life's", thank goodness, but trains, boats and planes and no 2D planes but proper 3D views which I galloped up. Now that's what I called good teaching and I so enjoyed that time.

It is really a sad thing to say but in my loft I still have loads of drawings that I did at that time. What's even sadder that I still have the DC comics and about 30 odd old annuals from the early 60's. I like the "Smirks" as they are well drawn and it would have been easy to give them all different & special characters, some not having shades etc, but all still having the same overall shape. Good one and thanks for showing.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi albacore—

There were very few art courses in my high school—Commercial Art was one of perhaps 2 that were offered, but that wasn't my "unlearning" phase. It came later, after I was flunking out of Pre-Med and changed my major to commercial design in college. When I say "unlearning", it was at a root level and had to trickle upwards to change my style. Things such as:

• Work from the general to the specific. I used to dive into a drawing without a preliminary architecture and everything looked handsomely detailed, but off-kilter.

• If it looks right, it probably is right. This ended my incessant refinement of a drawing until it looked like garbage.

• Draw what you see, not what you think you see.

If I were a primary or secondary art teacher today, we wouldn't get around to actually drawing for weeks. Theory and attitude and approach should be taught first. I failed almost completely, in retrospect, copying Superman from the comics, because I learned to draw, but not why.

You shouldn't be sad to you at all that you still have your early drawings, pal!! I do not; I couldn't afford archival paper and pigments so almost all of my 1960s/1970s artwork has crumbled to crap. Barbara and I scanned as much as we could, but I don't have the time these days for restoration work.

I'm happy that from 1991 to present, my digital stuff—and scans of my physical stuff—are preserved. I really miss some of the cartoons I did 40+ years ago.

My Best,

Gary

Name:	6-15-2014 12-57-39 PM.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	102410

Default Gee...

Setting aside modesty, I created this logo for myself when Xara first came out.

I had practice with CorelDRAW for several years (which helped), and I think I got this done in about 2 days, on and off.

Name:	ancient-G.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	102550

—Gary

Default A color palette

This is a drawing disguised as a piece of self-aware artwork.

Name:	a_color_palette.jpg 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	102583

Default Re: Cartoon Duck

i was going to make the joke "no matter how many times i look at it, i keep seeing a duck" about all of the abstract art on page 1 until i got to page 2 and you freaked me out as well as ruined a perfectly good joke.

Default Re: Cartoon Duck

So we're on the same page now?

;)

Thanks, tree hugger!

My Best,

Gary